Aluminum boat leaks?

GatorMike

Ensign
My brother asked me to ask a question. He has a 16' aluminum jonboat that he uses for flats fishing in salt water. He said over the years the boat corroded where it rests on the trailer. He had a friend do some welding and repaired the problem areas but he is still having problems with leaks. He says they aren't bad but he doesn't like any water in the boat of course. He also says it only leaks when he is running. He was wanting to know if there is any kind of coating he could paint on the bottom to help seal the leaks? Anybody have any suggestions?

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Aluminum boat leaks?

Brace the trailer with axle stands, take everything out of the boat and fill it with water, should be able to see where the water is leaking out, that’s where its also getting in. Assess the damage and get it repaired properly. Welds will work for damage but usually not for corrosion. What he may need to do is cut and patch the hull.

GatorMike

Ensign

He has done that, says he can fill the boat and it doesn't leak. It only leaks when he is running on plane.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i boats store Gulvit, coat the exterior of the hull with it.

GatorMike

Ensign

Thanks I am getting some other answers from another source and thought I would run them by you. I talked to a couple of airboaters I work with figuring they are constantly modifing their hulls. Two of them gave me the name of products, I think they may be the same product from the description. One was called Steel Flex by a company called Sasco and the other the guy simply called slick bottom (I have a feeling that is a made up redneck name for the steel flex product). I will pass both the Gulvit and Steel flex info to my brother but would apreciate it if anybody has any additional input on either product.

phatmanmike

Captain

Originally posted by tashasdaddy:<br /> i boats store Gulvit, coat the exterior of the hull with it.
i did this exact thing. no more problems. ever