Regristration Question

TrenchFisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class
I don't know if this is the right forum but i just bought a boat and i am picking it up this Friday. I would like to use it this weekend but I won't have the registration because i bought the boat out of state and they sent the paperwork work to the DMV for me. I was wondering if there is a grace period for me to use the boat while i am waiting for my reg. to come from the state? I live in NY and i bought the boat in CT. Thanks a lot!

TrenchFisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Regristration Question

this is a brand new boat so there is nothing on there. i was going to register the boat myself but they already sent the paperwork out. thanks for the help.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Well, ball's in your court. You could take your chances and hope if someone stops you the officer is benevolent. Take your papers with you showing you just bought it and any other particulars that might sway his opinion. Never know.<br /><br />I know insurance co's give you (mine does) a 10 day grace period on new purchases, but don't know if the heat is that lenient.<br /><br />Why don't you just call your local game warden and ask him?<br /><br />Mark

seasharp

Recruit

here in Florida we have a 30 day grace period to get the boat registered. As long as we carry the bill of sale we can use the boat within the 30 day time frame. Check with DMV in NY to make sure. They probably even have a website you can check. Good luck and enjoy that new boat!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

North Carolina gives 30 days too...Just keep your bill of sale with you

ricksrster

Commander

If it is still currently registered in Conn. you have 30 days to regsiter it in NY. Make sure the numbers and the reg. sticker are still on the boat. too bad they sent in the paper work. It only takes a couple minutes to show up in person to regsister the boat.