rough handling bass boat

gsmith145

Cadet
got the boat running and had a few problems.. Its a 1985 monark mcfast 172 17' 150 hp mercury.<br />first off after i plane it feel like the boat wants to go to the right and is hard to turn to the left if i let go of the wheel it would turn on its own it also leans a liitle to the right ...<br /><br /> Next at slow speeds the boat is hard to keep straight it will go left and right a little on its own. Will a hydrofoil improve any of this what could be the problem. <br /><br />thanks greg

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral
Re: rough handling bass boat

A hydrofoil will make it WORSE! Smart tabs will help but will only mask the real problem. Check your trim zinc on the outdrive. Is the hull waterlogged? How are the steering cables?

gsmith145

Cadet

what is the trim zinc. there is no water in the boat. can the fiberglass actually soak up water. How do i check the steering cables. there is no play if i grab the motor and try to turn it back and forth

LubeDude

Admiral

Its very common for ourboard and outdrive boats to steer back and forth a little bit, most people over correct and make it worse by doing so. As far as your boat wanting to turn one way or the other, you need to trim the engine out a bit after you get on plane, This will help a lot and stop the "bow steer".

zuke

Seaman

is the motor centered on the boat? is the motor level ( not on an angle )... these were some minor issues that when corrected made the problem for me dissapear.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Sounds like you just need to work on your trim. Once you get on plane you need to trim out. Once the prop starts to lose bite and the rpms climb, you trim back in until the prop is biting again, at this trim setting you shouldn't be having the steering issue. If it is still doing it, adjust the anode tab (the fin thingy that is pointing down in front of the prop as you are looking from behind) in the direction the boat is wanting to turn. Adjust it in small increments, it doesn't take much.<br /><br />Hydrofoils can make some boat/motor combinations run worse or better. If you have one, take it off and try it out. Good luck...

gsmith145

Cadet

Thanks guys... if i trim out to far can i lose control of the boat... I will try out the advice <br /><br />thanks Greg

KCLOST

Commander

Shouldn't, but you will notice that the boat will not be as easy to turn with the motor trimmed out at higher speeds. The steering may not be stiffer, but the boat won't respond to the steering as much. So practice carefully.<br /><br />Also, look out for what they call "chinewalk". That is a symptom that is really scarey and an idication that the motor "may" be mounted too low. It is a wiggle of the boat at high speeds... Kind of like when you see those drag racing boats wiggle out of control so much that they just loose it and finally the boat jumps sided to side too much and it's all over..<br />It's not near that severe with a bass boat but just let us know what you find when you trim that baby out more and more at high rpms.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Once you are on plane and crusising at a moderate speed (25 to 30 mph) you should expect that the boat tracks streight. If you are listing or turning to either side (right or left) then you should look at the steering (zinc) rutter directly above the prop on the bottom side of the anti-ventilation flange. This device is to compensate for steering thrust and torque in one direction or the other. (this is mentioned above).<br /><br />Also, understand that if the bow is trimmed down too much the boat will be prone to bow steering. This is when the keel is too far down and the boat tends to steer onside or the other when cruising. Trim the motor so that it is perpendicular to the water surface.

gsmith145

Cadet

Thanks guys i trimmed her out and it ran like a dream. could even let go of the wheel if i wanted to. Just listened for the prop to break water and trimmed it down a little, no pull or lean.....Hit 52mph and decided to slow down.<br /><br /> Help me fix it, teach me to drive it, do you guys know how to catch fish too.<br /><br /> This is the best forum I have found online thank you so much.<br /><br /> Greg<br /><br /> :p :) :cool:

LubeDude

Admiral

Great, we aim to please! :) <br /><br />Ya, we catch fish too! :cool:

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Glad you got it under control. Everything is a learning process. There are some very good and knowledgable participants on this site. Have fun! As far a catching fish - remember that the sport is fishing not catching - catching is a bonus. Just have fun!<br /><br />Now you can put our Smart Tabs on and realy see what that boat can do.

gsmith145

Cadet

Do the smart tabs work well on bass boats and which ones should i get.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Use the MoBstertabs # MT1080-60. They are available from iboats and are made especially for Bass Boats. Your boat should top out at between 55 and 60 MPH, maybe a bit more. The Mobster Tabs are heavier duty, tapered, and more rigid for the higher speeds. You should pick up about 2 to 4 MPH.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

On knowing how to fish too? Dynamite, works every time.... but be sure you hand the game warden a lighted stick too so that he can fish rather than talk to you about your violation. Har. Har.<br /><br />Sorry for the off colored candor. Sometimes I just can't help it. But I thought the whole joke was pretty funny the first time I heard it.<br /><br />Mark

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

don't laugh my uncle use to do it all the time, he had 8 kids to feed. every time we went to his house fish was served 2 meals a day.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Hey tas, gotta do what you gotta do.<br /><br />Mark

waterinthefuel

Commander

Fish can be consistantly caught at the local seafood diner, usually already caught, cooked and served on a plate for a modest fee.