Fast Idle on US Marine Controls

gatorz75462

Cadet
I have a 1992 Force 120 with US marine controls. It is idleing rough at start up and I was told to try raising the fast idle lever for a few minutes at start up. I really looked the control box over and cant seem to find what would be a fast idle lever. Any suggestions?

fishthebay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Fast Idle on US Marine Controls

You DO NOT have one. Most throttles you pull the lever out and then can rev the engine.<br /><br />You can't on this control box.<br /><br />Same problem with mine for the past 6 months.<br /><br />You probably have excessive carbon build-up.<br /><br />Run a decarb treatment, use fresh fuel with the correct 50:1 mix.<br /><br />If everything fails carb rebuild is what I have been told.

gatorz75462

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. I got a can of Sea Foam yestrday , plan on trying that tommorow.

middleton1

Cadet

The fast idle is actually a button on the handle of the throttle. Push the button where the thortle handle pivots while you push the throttle forward. This will allow the throttle to move forward without putting the motor in gear.

DanM

Cadet

One of my pet peeves is these throttle/gearshift combinations that limit the gas flow out-of-gear. I understand that there are some safety concerns, but are there any aftermarket products with old-fashioned separate gear and gas levers?