Running engine hooked to garden hose

redlabel

Cadet
I need to do some maintenance on my Force 120 and would like to run it without taking it to the water. I have never run the engine on the garden hose hookup more than a minute or two (just enough to make sure it would start before taking it to the lake).<br />Would it be safe to run the engine on the hose long enough to adjust the carbs?

Deuce22

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Running engine hooked to garden hose

redlabel'<br />There should be no problem ,just make sure that the engine is passing enough water thru the pee hole to cool it down. It does'nt need to be a full stream just enough not to overheat the engine.<br />Deuce

Brew

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not sure on this, because my motor has fixed jets on the carbs (ie. no adjusting), but, wouldn't you have to have the motor running at a fairly high speed to adjust the carb properly? <br /><br />If so, running it off the garden hose my not be the greatest idea for this particular application.<br /><br />Again, not sure on this as don't know much about adjusting carbs. Just a thought.<br /><br />Cheers.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Just curious, but if you have fixed jets, what are you going to adjust?<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

ob

Admiral

assuming you have an idle mix screw adjustment running on hose is only good for static set-up.Fine tuning will be required once put in water as exhaust back pressure will have substantial effect on throttle range operation.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, Redlabel.<br /><br />Any adjustments that should be done with a load on the engine should not be attempted on the hose.<br /><br />If you adjust things like idle speed and mixture or high speed mix without a load your engine will die when you put her in gear in the water.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just don't walk away while it's running. Those muffs have a tendancy to work themselves off the motor. I found out the hard way. So I took an old plastic barrel and cut it to fit under the motor, lot quieter too.

redlabel

Cadet

Thanks for all of the advice. I am guessing from what I read, that it may have been adjusted without a load in the beginning, since it tends to die when put in gear unless you hit it just right. Idles OK, runs fine in gear at a decent throttle, but hitting that "sweet spot" to get her going is a pain!<br /><br />Looks like a trip to the lake is in order with a tool box instead of a tackle box!

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

YOU don't need to run the engine to stop it from dying when engaging the gear. Find the IDLE SPEED BOLT to the left of the bottom carb. It buts up to the block on the tower shaft. Screw it in 1/4 of a turn and lock the bolt again. :cool:

redlabel

Cadet

I saw that idle screw there ... will start out with the 1/4 turn and see what happens. Thanks.