93 Force - 90HP - Top bearing,now what?

alounsbury

Cadet
Ok folks - Is it time for a rebuild engine? <br /><br />Setup - months ago I replaced the stator which solved many intermittent speed dropout problems for me. Boat has been running great ever since. However, after water skiing today when I slowed the boat down I heard an absolutely UGLY metal grinding/chirping noise coming from what seems to be the top main crackshaft bearing just under the flywheel. Argggggggggg - I guess that light hammer hit from taking the stator off must have weaken the bearing (yes - I did hit it lightly because I was very scared of just this!). Motor still runs fine, compression fine, etc.<br /><br />So my question - is it worth having a mechanic replace this upper main bearing (assuming crankshaft not overly damaged) or is it time for a rebuild engine?<br /><br />I would love to hear opinions, especially from those that have been there and back.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 93 Force - 90HP - Top bearing,now what?

In your situation I would get a quote to replace the bearing.Then assuming the motor is otherwise sound And price is not too high replace the bearing,<br />I personally dont think a Force is worth any big investment.It is an orphan with no factory parts support and a poor reputation.

alounsbury

Cadet

Thanks for the opinion Spike. I will call the mechanic today for a quote to see if it is worth the expense as the motor has been sound and treated me well overall.<br /><br />Anybody else have an opinion?

Hooty

Rear Admiral

If you can remove the flywheel, you can replace upper bearing.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Al, you can purchase the parts needed at a mercury dealer...if it is in fact the upper crankshaft bearing that failed, the crank will have to come out of the motor to replace it, it is a ball bearing press fit on the crank, and they are tight! Start by pulling the flywheel and upper end cap to visually inspect bearing.....on the way look for loose stator, flywheel magnet, end cap, extra bolts rolling around in flywheel, etc,etc...

alounsbury

Cadet

yep - the whole thing needs to come apart - make no mistake about it. Unfortunately - it is not a simple exercise to replace the top bearing.<br /><br />After discussing this with my mechanic, basically he indicated it is probably best to pay the 2 hours of labor to assess the damaged bearings. At that point - an accurate determination can be make to either:<br />a) repair<br />b) replace the powerhead or<br />c) scrap the motor and start over.<br /><br />I'm now awaiting the damage report.

alounsbury

Cadet

ahhhh - all good things must come to an end.<br /><br />Surprisingly the upper main bearing was fine. But one of the piston rod bearings - well - not so lucky. Those roller bearings were everywhere - in the cylinder, crankshaft - you name it. Mechanic was amazed it actually still ran so well - albeit very noisy.<br /><br />His advice - don't rebuild the Force engine. It is a bad mix of a Chrylser engine block with Mercury ignition - not worth the $$ to even replace the powerhead which is about $3K Cdn. So, this engine shall be retired to the scrap yard, while I hunt a replacement motor.<br /><br />Anyways - thanks for the advice folks.