How can I get the engine to start sooner?

raymo8

Cadet
I have a 1986 Force Outboard that runs great. But when I want to start it up, I usually have to turn the key between 3-5 times. Is there anything that I can do to make it start sooner?<br /><br />When I prime the ball, it never tightens up which may be the problem. Also, the choke is rigged up on the key. I have to push the key in while I turn it, to choke it. I usually push it in once and turn, and then do 2-3 more turns without the choke to get it going. Any other suggestions?

ob

Admiral
Re: How can I get the engine to start sooner?

If prime bulb never gets firm before starting look for external fuel leaks under cowl.If none sounds like carb floats are sticking or needle seats are not fully closing .Also, posible air leak between tank and primer bulb.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Push key and hold it in to choke it each time you try to start it cold! Once may not do it! Hold it in while cranking until it starts, but don't crank it longer than 15 to 20 seconds at a time! Then wait about 20 Seconds and Try again. Should GO! Also, get new fuel line and Bulb!!

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

I had a similar problem recently, it turned out that the small spring that conects the auto choke solenoid to the choke linkage had worn and the chokes were not being fully closed. Try using the manual choke lever. If this helps check your auto choke system for play in the linkages or worn spring

petryshyn

Commander

Are you giving it extra throttle when starting?

Reel Appeal

Chief Petty Officer

Raymo8,<br /> Check all your clamps on the fuel hose.Make sure they are tight with no leaks.Cut back the hose just enough to give fresh ends,then re-clamp(tight).You may be sucking air in somewhere on the fuel hose.Is the fuel tank vent open? Is the fuel hose connected in the right direction.The bulb should be nearest the tank.There may be an arrow on the bulb,should be pointing towards motor.<br />Also,when your priming the bulb,look at the carbs to make sure no gas is dribbling out of the throats or leaking inside.If it is(dribbling),you may need to replace(or adjust)the floats and needle valves.<br />Clean or replace the fuel filter...You may want to consider replacing the squeeze bulb/or complete fuel line.... :)