No spark to my motor

atvsteve2000

Recruit
I have a 1975 Chrysler 75 hp model # 757HB that has become rather finicky as of late. When this motor runs it runs very strong & doesn't miss a beat. However, lately it only wants to start when it feels like it. At this time I am getting no spark to the plugs, I have a Clymer book that is pretty good @ trouble shooting but I'm afraid it is kind of weak on my specific model. Mine has the Magnapower ignition. Would this also have points under the flywheel that could be adjusted &/or replaced? There is no mention of this in the manual. Like I said, it runs smooth & strong once it's running but getting it to start is a real bear. Any expertise in this area would be greatly appreciated. <br /><br /> Thanks for any help!<br /> :( Steve

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: No spark to my motor

Hi, Steve I can't help much with that ignition system. But regardless, the problem may be under the flywheel anyway,as the trigger would be there too.<br />But first things first. Intermittant ignition is a sure sign of poor connections somewhere. Just as with battery terminal posts, they will strand you.I'm sure you have hopped-into a car,turned the key,and heard that "click" then nothing, onlt to find the post and terminals corroded.<br /><br />Boats are worse for this, due to the wet operating environment. It's a constant maintnance hastle.<br />So, pull all connectors,clean,re-stress,and re-connect them. No doubt, you'll find a bad one or two.<br />Ignition switches, lanyard switches,and buss bars get wet,and can corrode open overnight.

atvsteve2000

Recruit

12 footer,<br />Thanks for the reply, I probably will get this going just in time for the snow to fly.<br /> Thanks, Steve

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

12 footer...this motor should have a distributor and only alternator under flywheel...just a thought