Help force 85 motor owners

ches2222

Cadet
Just bought a l988 bayliner with a 85 force motor, problem is hard starting and a grinding noise at idle and start, once up and going it ran fine. Took it out today same problem, was running for about 15 min and then idle down and motor died, could not restart. We got the manual and just need a starting point.<br /><br />Linda :(

ches2222

Cadet
Re: Help force 85 motor owners

Are there any force 85 owners out there with a starting point?

iRich

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi, If your battery is fully charged and cranking the engine ok I would probably check the fuel system first. If it has old fuel in it that is probably your problem. When the motor dies is the primer bulb hard? Also is the gas tank vent open? What is the grinding sound? Is it from the powerhead, starter, or lower unit?<br />Good luck,<br /><br />Rich

Jango

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 85HP Force which also would not Idle, although it did not have any grinding sounds. Don't have any idea what that might be.<br />First of all, I would get a compression check - should be 120lbs + on all 3 cylinders with no more than 10% variation. If the compression is low, this could be a sign of carboned up piston rings.<br /><br />In any case, buy some decarb fluid from NAPA or maybe K-Mart. Start Engine (garden hose OK)and spray fluid into carbs alternating between all 3 until motor stalls, wait 5 min and restart. Motor should really smoke. Run until smoking stops.<br /> <br />Next change plugs. I found NGK, BUHW work good.<br />You may need to also set idle higher.<br /><br />Good Luck

ches2222

Cadet

Thanks Rich and Jango, will check compression. Before we went out we did change fuel and the filter all was clean when we checked after the motor died. I do not know what the grinding noise is, it is only in the idle position that we hear it sounds like gears grinding know one seem to know what it is, it sounds bad but once we start up it is gone till we idle down agin. I am going out to pull a plug and check for carbon etc, will get back. did change the grease in lower unit and all was well.<br /><br />Lind***

iRich

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi, If it sounds like your gears grinding you may need to adjust your shift linkage.<br /><br />Rich

Walker

Captain

Check your starter bendix and make sure its disengaging when the motor starts.