1991 Force 120 no spark

rpatlake

Recruit
120 L-Drive has no spark. Was running good, but hard to start a few times. Never shut off - just a no start at times. Now it won't start at all. My Clymer manual says I have Prestolite ignition, but I have Thunderbolt ignition, so I can't trust troubleshooting. Does anyone have specs on resistance/voltage tests for this sytem? Any help is appreciated! Randy<br />

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1991 Force 120 no spark

First check all of the wires going to the coils - power packs pick up coil whatever - by lightly tugging on them to see if they might be broken and touching occassionally. They could be broken under/in the covering or at the terminal connections at the junction blocks or anywhere along the way. You might also do a continuity check just to be safe (while moving/tugging on the wires). ;)

rpatlake

Recruit
Re: 1991 Force 120 no spark

Thanks for response Robert. I have checked continuity on the wires for the stator and trigger and I believe I may have a problem with both - but I'm using specs from what I have for a 75HP with same ignition sytem. The wires have continuity from the connector to the component. Checking the trigger, I only have resistance between the white/black and brown wires - nothing at all between the white/black and the other 2 wires (violet and white wires). Checking the stator, between the solid blue and red wires is open and between the striped blue and red wires I get about 600 ohms. The problem is I have no actual specs for this particular engine to compare with. Thanks, Randy