Force 150 Non firing 4 and 5 cylinders

Ionizer1

Recruit
I have a 1989 force f5 150hp outboard. This engine has treated me well untill this summer. The lower unit lost a cotter pin and I was force to go to the docks in reverse. I then found out that my gasket for the gas door was bad and I contaminated my fuel with water. I have since drained and refilled with fresh fuel but now I have no hole shot power. When I look at my plugs 1 thru 3 are fine but the 4 and 5 are clean as new. While the engine is running fuel is actually spilling out of the lower carb that feeds 4 and 5. I have taken the carb off and check the float and the float appears to be working fine. I have not done a compression check with a guage but the backyard mechanic version of sticking my finger in the plug hole seems to supply the same vacume and pressure across all of the cylinders. I have shop manual for this engine and can't find a similar problem in the troubleshooting section. All plugs seen to have adequate spark, and I have ran a can of engine tune through the carbs to no avail. Any Ideas of a good starting point will be greatly appreciated. I was going to start with rebuilding all of the carbs and see what happens. What is the liklyhood that the reeds have been compromized? Thanks in advance. :(

happyzee

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Force 150 Non firing 4 and 5 cylinders

Quick question regarding the fuel spilling out the lower carb. With the engine NOT running, if you continously squeeze the primer ball does the primer ball become hard? or can you keep on squeezing? If you can keep squeezing, pull the cowling off, squeeze the primer some more, is fuel spilling out from any of the carb's?<br />Let us know

Ionizer1

Recruit

If I continuously squeeze the ball it does get hard but I can continue squeazing until gas does come out of the other carbs but not out of the front of the barrell. Gas comes out through a smaller hole on top to the floats.

Deerdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ionizer,<br />I also have an 89 150 Force. I hope this isnt the case but have you considered water injestion. That will "steam clean" your plugs and make them look like new. I had to rebuild mine in 1994 due to compression loss in the #5 cyl - and the plug was clean except some white gooey stuff around the electrode. Cause - water injestion. Replaced a stator last year but other than routine maintenance it has been super.<br /><br />Good Luck<br />Deerdog