T8 plane small flat?

ed/il

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a T8 kicker on my 20 ft. boat. Works great. I would like to put it on flat boat now and then to fish some small shallow lakes. Does anyone know if this high thrust motor will get a 14 ft. aluminum on a plane? I would get a special prop for this use if that would help. My guess is it will not plane.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: T8 plane small flat?

T8? Whazzat?

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

I think the proping will be so far out of line that it won't plane. You will overrev the engine first. But that's just a guess. Give it a try and post back, I would like to know.

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

JB, the t8 is a yamaha four stroke outboard high thrust kicker motor.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If it is in the 5 hp range with very careful set up and loading it might plane a light 14 with a nice wide foot print for lots of support.If alone you will have to get an extension handle and ride in the middle seat.A flat bottom like a jon will get up the water easier.We had a flat bottom steel boat that planed easily with a 5 and an extension handle.I think even a 3 would do pretty well with one person and an extension handle not a true planing speed but maybe 8 or 10 mph.You could also consider a displacement type hull.These are designed to run very efficiently at about 6 mph and even a small motor could push a bigger boat say 18 ft at about 6 mph.These have a slender soft chined hull that gently curves as it runs aft so that the transom generally is clear of the water.Somewhat like a sailboat hull.They are not designed to get up on the water but to go through the water very efficiently.

ed/il

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The T8 pushes my 20 ft fiberglass boat about 6.5 in calm water. I was hoping to get twice that with flat boat. Can run it all day on less then 3 gallons. Big motor uses 10 gallons/hr on plane. If the price of gas keeps going up I might have to use T8 more when fishing alone. I will post when I try it. Do not have small boat to put it on and not going to buy one until I see how it works. Might rent one to test it. I do like the displacement hulls because you can push big boat with little power but they do roll a lot when drifting side ways in waves. Thanks for the replies.