Internal Damage???

Everrett

Cadet
Please advise:<br />Can anyone tell me if I blew up my Force 85 (1989) by letting it overheat. I took it out for the first time and the (what I believe to be) overheating alarm went off right away. Thinking it could not possibly have overheated that quickly I continued at 1/4 throttle until the engine quit. A slight metallic sound prior to death.<br />Did I just ruin the waterpump or did I seize the engine?<br />I tried to turn it over and it turned very slowly.<br />Any advice-<br />I AM A NEWBIE to this boating stuff. More time in the classroom than on the water :confused: <br /><br />Thanks in advance<br />Eric

Greg Lawrence

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Internal Damage???

well there are alot of possibilities there. can you turn the motor over by hand a couple of times?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

:confused: a slight mettalic sound? Well the water pump impellar is rubber...no metalic sound there. You might have overheated ant the metallic sound may have been a piston seizing up.<br /><br />Sorry but just a guess.<br /><br />Bob

Everrett

Cadet

Thanks guys,<br />I can turn the motor over by hand so I guess I didn't seize it. Is it possible I warped the block or the cylinder walls with my stupidity?<br />Should I just try to replace the water pump and go from there? Once apart will I notice any other damage or will I become a certified pit crew member for Bayliner?<br /><br />Thank you very much for your time...<br /><br />Eric

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Damage assesment, at this point, is nothing but guessing. First, do a compression check and lettus know the results.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Everrett

Cadet

To ALL:<br />I do appreciate all of your time and knowledge.<br />I will keep you posted on my compression check.<br />Thank you,<br /><br />Eric