35 HP Chrysler loses forward propulsion at certain throttle setting

stumpjumper

Cadet
Hey guys I am looking for confirmation before I do something drastic to my prop to test a theory.<br />When I get to a certain throttle position I lose forward motion. The engine tachs out and <br />it is if the prop stops turning. I have a very slow speed and was able to make it back to the ramp under power<br />although it was slow going. I pulled the prop and the shear pin is still intact. I have the same problem in reverse.<br />this is a 76-77 35 HP chrysler. the prop spline shaft is in good shape so I dont think that is slipping. It does not show wear.<br />I have been told that this year motor has a prop that includes a rubber gasket between the prop housing and the<br /> center that fits on the spline shaft and the problem could be that the prop is slipping on the worn rubber piece.<br />I stuck a screwdriver between the flywheel and the starter to prevent the flywheel from moving and could move<br />the prop a revolution in both directions. It wasn't easy to move it but it wasn't too hard either.<br />I was told that a down and dirty way to prevent this is to drill at least three screws through the prop housing <br />and bite into the rubber to prevent the slipping, then perform the screwdriver, flywheel trick again and the prop <br />shouldn't move. Does this sound right?

norman158

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 35 HP Chrysler loses forward propulsion at certain throttle setting

the rubber you are refering to is called a hub you need to have it replaced

rwise

Captain

it may work to drive screws into the hub, but if you hit something in the water. what else would be damaged? I think a prop shop shoud get the job of fixing it properly!<br />Richard

stumpjumper

Cadet

Thanks for the response. I guess the theory is correct then? Where can I get a prop for this year motor?

iRich

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi StumpJumper, I bought a prop for a 45hp chrysler from this place http://www.propcopropellers.com/us Marine.htm <br /><br />It was the best deal I could find and I had it within 3 days. I paid 73.00 including shipping<br /> <br />Rich

dymo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Get yourself the correct part number and check on e-bay. Just a suggestion.<br /><br />Dymo