Bad Steering Cable?

wdriii

Cadet
I think I know the answer to this but before springing for a new steering cable kit, I'd like to have a good feeling that my thinking is sound.<br /><br />I have just mated a 1997 Force 40 to a boat with Morse rack style steering. Prior to putting the engine on the boat the steering appeared to work fine. Once I put the engine on the boat I found that my range of steering was from a full port turn to engine centered, about 1 1/2 turns on the steering wheel. The starboard stop is a hard stop, nothing soft or "mushy" about it. Measuring the rod extention (as it exits the tube on the motor) from full port to centered (full right as it is now) is 3 3/4". With the steering completely disconnected the engine can be swung from full port to full starboard turn with one finger so the engine is not the problem I don't think.<br /><br />Browsing the web today I find that I should have between 3 and 4 turns of the wheel to go from full port to full starboard. I also saw on a website that the total travel of the steering rod should be around 7". This all adds up to me that I have something binding up in the steering cable (or in the rack assembly) at about the half-way point and a new kit is in order.<br /><br />You folks are the experts. Am I on the right track or am I missing something here? Thanks.

ivar

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bad Steering Cable?

With the cable disconnected from the engine , do you still only have 3.5" of total rod travel , or do you have more?<br />If you have full travel with the cable disconnected , it sounds like you need to move the cable in relation to the engine , so that the cable and engine are centered at the same time.

wdriii

Cadet

Thanks for the reply, Ivar.<br /><br />With the engine disconnected I get the same 3 1/2 to 3 3/4" of rod extention.

wdriii

Cadet

Yep. It was a bad steering cable. New cable is installed and working like a champ. Case closed. Thanks Ivar for your suggestion.