85hp force-center plug clean as whistel.

jrbjr1

Recruit
hey prop heads, I've got an 86,85hp Force that last year ran like a raped ape, and this year like molassis. I checked plugs and the # 2 is still brand new. I swapped leads on the CD hoping to get lucky, but either this is not my problem or the previous owner had the same idea. After long contemplation the only thing that I can remember doing between seasons is relocating the ignition switch, while pulling the wires, it seemed like the "fourth of July"... DUMB-DUMB forgot to disconnect the battery. Which component or components would most likely suffer due to this breif lack of common sense??

Rollie

Cadet
Re: 85hp force-center plug clean as whistel.

I have a 1988 85 hp Force and last year had the same problem as you . I thought the non working new plug wasn't getting any gas , or worse , I had a water leak . Not the case . The plug was clean AND fuel coated , just looked dry . It was a bad cd . I used the unused half of the 2nd cd ( used on the 4 cyl 125 hp engines ), and it works fine . You have to switch the wires around on the connecting strip , you cannot just switch plug wires . This may not be your problem , perhaps the ign. short did something , but that was my problem and the fine people on this site helped me work it out . good luck , Rollie