Force 125 RPM's???

XCR5

Recruit
I've got a 87 Bayliner 18.5' fish/ski with the same year force 125 motor. Question is I've read a bunch about people turning 5,500 - 5,800 rpms with this motor on this size boat. Well I've been contemplating a new prop as my 17 pitch stainless can't get my 200lb+ butt out of the water. I have "bayliner - blue" 15 pitch prop tried when out fishing this weekend and the max rpm I can achieve is 4300 - 4500? This gets me about 40mph on the speedo. I don't remember what my 17 pitch is turning? If my 15 pitch is only turning this kind of rpm what are my options? Is my tach off? How can I get the rpms up? boat seems fine on the top end, just has now hole shot.<br />Please help as I don't understand why my boat isn't turning the rpms she should be.<br /><br /> Thanks, XCR5

Bry21317

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Force 125 RPM's???

Im running a 13 1/4x 17 Pitch Hustler Aluminum prop and im turning about 5000 on mine. I have an 88 Bayliner 19.5 ft, with 88 Force 125 HP, and I can get to about 40 or just over. I do also have boyeson reeds installed and a new tach. This is as high as I can get with the 17, you should be running higher than that with your 15 pitch. My boat will now jerk my 200 lbs out of the water on the wakeboard, before it wouldn't hardly pull me out after 2 or 3 seconds. Here is a post of what all I did to make it scream: http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=013682 <br /><br />Hope this helps.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Bryan Cox

XCR5

Recruit

Bryan, why did you replace your tach? I think I've read some of your previous post and I thought I remembered you mentioning something about running in the 4,000 rpm range? Was your tach found to be off? This is my concern, I would think my tach should be reading higher?<br /><br /> Thanks, XCR5

Bry21317

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry,<br />I just saw this post, haven't had much time to get into the forums. I never had a tach on my boat, this is why I put one in. So that I could figure out my RPMS and so that I could Play with the Prop and see what the reeds would do. This was my reasoning for going through all the strings I had to go through to get a 20 pole alternator on this engine. This was a total nightmare for me to find one that would work.<br /><br />When I first hooked up the Tach, I was only running about 32 mph at about 4500-4600 RPM's if I can remember correctly. This was before the Decarb, Boeyson reeds, Carb Rebuild, Removal of old gas, tilt and trim unit fixed (broken again), New hustler Aluminum 17 pitch prop, compared to the Michigan wheel prop that I had on since I had purchased it.<br /><br />Hope this helps you.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Bryan Cox