50 Force water vent leaks lower unit oil when motor laid on its side

inquizito

Seaman
I just bought a 1987 Force 50 and had to transport in my truck - when I checked it, there was bluish-green leakage from what appeared to be the water vent/intake area of the lower unit: When I stood the motor straight up, a little more oil came out from the vent. Someone on this post with a Mercruiser 6 cyl. reported a similar leak problem, and an answer was given that it was the (lower?) water pump seal, and that unfixed it would eventually mix with water and cause bad trouble. Would this be the same case with my smaller outboard? Is it normal to leak when placed on its side? Is there any danger in storing the motor on its side for a few days? The vent and fill holes are tight, and there is no water in the oil leakage, and there is no gas mixed with it. Should I rebuild the water pump - new seals, etc. or just check lower unit oil level? There is also the possibility that the leakage could have come from around the exhaust, where the lower cast exhaust pipe fits into the lower unit, and just flowed down to the h20 vent. Upon drying the entire area, and letting the motor sit on each side for a few minutes; however, the only leakage I observed was from the water vent, but I wonder if that may have been just residual. Please help discern the problem-I am going to go to the Force dealer - and I would rather be somewhat informed as to likely causes.

lonewolf5347

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 50 Force water vent leaks lower unit oil when motor laid on its side

inquiz:sounds like the main top seal under the water water pump housing needs to be change.don't forget to also buy those outside gaskets on lower unit fill @ vent screws

orca

Chief Petty Officer

check the colour of the oil in the gearbox, If it is white or creamy it has water in it, if the oil is normal oil colour than it is OK. black or blue oil from this area may only be discharge from the exhust, nothing to worry about.

inquizito

Seaman

Thank you for reading my post, and your insights. The area from which the leak comes is DEFINITELY the water vent - and it is clear, new blue lube-so can this still be from unburned mixture from exhaust area? It seems strange that it could separate that completely from the gas-fuel mixture - it is blue with no signs or smells of gas or water. So would this make the likely culprit that water pump seal? And are those gaskets you're talking about the ones which fit right behind the screws, visible from surface?

lonewolf5347

Chief Petty Officer

THOSE GASKETS ARE UNDER THE FILL @ VENT SCREWS ON THE LOWER UNIT.DROP THE OIL IN THE LOWER UNIT TO BE SAFE @ CHECK TO SEE WHAT COLOR IT IS.THAT WILL TELL YOU IF THRE IS WATER IN THE OIL. ;)

inquizito

Seaman

I cannot see this thng

inquizito

Seaman

test - can't get messge box right size - it is about 1/4" long and 1/8" high and the post and review buttons are also 1/8" high with not writing visible indicate what they actually are..Any programmer bufffs know what is up? My computer or the wevbsite? Anyway - if this posts, lone wolf thanks for your response - but wouldn't the blue color of oil running out the water vent indicate the same color of oil in the lower unit? And why do you have to fill those things from the bottom until the vent hole shows full? It would seem to make a lot more sense to purit in the tp untiil is full? Is this because of air bubbles preventing proper fill?

orca

Chief Petty Officer

G'Day. If you look right under the gearbox there is a screw to one side that is the oil drain screw. It is about 12mm in diameter. remove this screw and check the colour of the oil. You have to remove the top oil leval screw to let all the oil out. The reason that gearboxes are filled from the bottom is to get all the air out of the box. Good luck.

nickster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

inquizito<br /> From what I'm seeing you write here and you are saying that you have lube coming out of your water pick up. If that beeing the case the lower unit needs resealed. Now to tell you where it is leaking we can't do that without doing a pressure test. but I can guarenteed if you have lube coming from your water pickup it is leaking.<br /> Good Luck!<br /> Nick

inquizito

Seaman

Whaley and Nickster - thanks for your replies - I spoke with a Force mechanic today and he said as well to get the pressure + vacuum test to check for leakage - if it fails - get a new reseal kit for gear housing --- this is my first motor, and it is clean, but sat for a while-guess the gasket dry rotted, being above the highest lubricant level perhaps? Anyway, the fill from bottom to top to compensate for air pockets makes sense thanks for the elucidation. I suppost I should get the water pump reseal kit as well not knowing the history of the motor, so I have a maintenance reference point of what has been done - also new spark plugs of course- anything else you guys would suggest for preventive maintenance and general reliability / safety>? I was given (50 hp 507F7C) water pump reseal kit cost of $57.25 at 1.5 hrs. labor and gear housing reseal kit price of $15.70 at 1 hr. labor - carburetor rebuild hours for this 1-barrel carb. 2-piston engine of 2 hrs. --- is this in the reasonable ballpark?