130 hp chrysler trouble

ang26

Recruit
I am having some problems. The motor idles great. Take off is great then once you are going for about 2 minutes at full throttle it slows down. It will not get back up to speed till you take it down let it idle for a few then you can go again it just keeps repeating. we have changed the points, plugs, wires, all that stuff but we still can not get it can some one please help. my children are getting impatient with me. if possible email me. thanks,<br /> Angela

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 130 hp chrysler trouble

Angela...zounds to me as you have a fuel restriction somewhere...needs to check the fuel tank vent, loosen filler cap when this happens if problem resolves than make sure vent is working. Check fuel line for any leaks and fix. Pump the primer bulb in the line when this happens, if it helps then it is due for a change. In any case where the fuel hose connects to the motor there should be a plastic part that comes off with one screw...behind that cap there is a screen that needs to be cleaned out...do that first. My guess is that you will find the problem somewhere I have already mentioned. If the problem persists the only things left are the fuel pump and carburators...but I don't think it would run for good for 2 minutes with either of these bad. just a Thought

ang26

Recruit

if anyone else has input i could sure use it. We still have trouble<br /> :(

russthemuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So you tried everything that 'Thought 101 'suggested and still having trouble? Is it getting hot?

ang26

Recruit

no it is not getting hot it gets all the way to full throttle runs good for a few then it bogs down and we repeat the whole thing it gets up there and bogs down

russthemuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How long do you have to wait before it takes off again? Sure sounds like its running out of fuel or sucking a vacuume in the fuel tank.If its truely running two mins then im inclined to think vacuume.Try pumping the fuel bulb when it slows down.Try choking it as well.

ang26

Recruit

i will try and let you know something soon.<br />it takes off after you take it back to idle then take off again.

ang26

Recruit

thanks for all the help. I am giving up for a while. Take care everyone :confused:

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

Most important...are you putting oil in the gas? And how much? This is also a symptom of no or little oil in the gas and will trash the engine in no time.<br /> If the engine has a thermostat, check it. Fuel pump could be weak too......Squeeze fuel bulb under way and see if it clears problem up.

icwebpeople

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i had the same prob in 85 hp clean carb internals and ckec to see if the floats are working may not be floating,also replace the diaphram in the fuel pump. it only cost about 6-7 bucks. try this and should be ready to hit the water after adjusting idle scews. if need help email me.icwebpeople@aol.com