Force power tilt/trim tilt cylinder leaking

basj8yw

Recruit
I broke the upper hydraulic fitting on the tilt cylinder. Can I replace the fitting? Can I replace the tilt cylinder without replacing the whole system?<br />Thanks

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Force power tilt/trim tilt cylinder leaking

I had the same thing happen to my tilt cyclinder...the one with that crazy collar band.. Goofy set-up in my opinion... I removed cylinder, dissasembled cylinder, drilled and tapped port to accept brass fitting , with NPT threads and installed it into cylinder. Using a die grinder , I carefully removed the portion of the fitting that protruded inside of the cylinder , re-assembled cylinder and re-installed it. Works like a champ, no leaks,...repair costs : $3.50 with new o-ring on piston (while I was in there) why on earth did Force use that silly set-up for the top line ????? I am a USAir Force trained hydraulics/pneumatics mechanic , just so ya know...

P.S. I saved the old collar/ fitting set-up and hung it on our Wally Award board in our shop.....lol

RRitt

Captain

you should be able to get new collars for about $35. If it is just the threads then slip a 1/8" piece of aluminum behind original.

Force used that set up so that tilt and shock used same casting. It is a low pressure fitting that should never see much more than 50psi so the design was more than adequate for pressure. What they did not plan on was neglected zinc anodes and galvanic corrosion.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

you should be able to get new collars for about $35. If it is just the threads then slip a 1/8" piece of aluminum behind original.

Force used that set up so that tilt and shock used same casting. It is a low pressure fitting that should never see much more than 50psi so the design was more than adequate for pressure. What they did not plan on was neglected zinc anodes and galvanic corrosion.
Seems to me they could have cast it with a block that could have been tapped to recieve the hydraulic line ...or not for the shock.....instead of using three extra parts.....just my .02

RRitt

Captain

Seems to me they could have cast it with a block that could have been tapped to recieve the hydraulic line ...or not for the shock.....instead of using three extra parts.....just my .02

I don't think it would have cleared transom clamp on Chrysler or Force. Even if it did fit as a shock it would still have been problem with evinrude. Evinrude rams have line connection at different angle than chrysler.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

interesting point , if it EVER stops raining here, I'll take a closer look at mine...

jsn

Recruit
tilt/trim removal

tilt/trim removal

Hi, can i replace a ptt unit on a 70hp yamaha o.b. without taking the motor off of the boat? Thanks