Force Engine trouble? water Pump??? Help

Kisslives

Recruit
I had not started my force125 in 2 years got it primed, cleaned fueled new lines then lowered engine in tub of water and cranked. i saw no water coming out of the 2 little holes. Then went to start again and buzzer sounded. Am I not getting water through the engine???<br />Isnt water supposed to come out those holes?<br />What to do?<br />Tony

sproz

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Force Engine trouble? water Pump??? Help

Yes it is! sounds like your impeller has shrivelled up over the last 2yrs. Dont ask me how to fix it although I'm sure other more experienced shipmates will be able to tell you.<br />Good luck

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Yes, as ShadyAde stated, it sounds like the impeller desintigrated as soon as you hit the starter. They do that sometimes, after sitting motionless for a year or so. They also get a bit brittle, and 'trained' into the shape of the pump housing. <br />I don't know what part of the world you are in, but down here in the south,we get these critters that like to build thier homes in the carb and water intakes,called 'muddawbers'.<br />The little rascals can make you pull your hair out. Also,when u pull the lower unit...If you find the impeller has pieces missing, you must find them.Pull the thermostat,and flush the block as best you can.<br />You will need the shop manual, a good compliment of tools,and about 3 hours free time (about an hour any time after the first time).<br />This is also a great time to inspect the lower unit for leaking seals, lube change, and gear damage.<br />see this link for more basic info on the lower unit inspection.<br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=011919 <br /><br />Good luck.And if you run into difficulty, the guys here will try to help long-distance as best they can.

happyzee

Seaman Apprentice

I kinda am thinking that I had the same problem. So I changed the water pump " COMPLETE KIT" and guess what, in a tub the engine over heats!@ I then put water ear muffs on (Forces water into engine) and the engine cools down and the horn stops blowing. <br />Here is what I think, the tub I am using isn't deep enough and the water pump doesn't get the water. The water level is just above the same holes the ear muffs use.<br /><br />Anyone else got an idea?????

revertmastec

Petty Officer 1st Class

Happy, you nailed it. My 86 125 must have the water level above the water pump in order for it to prime. If you use ear muffs the water pressure from the hose is enough to force the water up there. But unless the water line is higher than the water pump it can not prime itself in a tub.

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

Actually, even with a bad impeller you may be getting enough "assisted" water pressure from the hose pipe to make the pump work. I'd suggest either use a deeper test tank or check it out in open water. Or just for the heck of it, throw on a new impeller. The piece of mind is worth the small price, especially if you are a good do-it-yourselfer.