Carb rebuilding: another dumb question

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander
I've been on the forum a while now, mainly reading and learning loads (thanks for all the advice and stuff that I've learned:it's worth a million bucks!).<br /><br />There's something that puzzles me though:<br /><br />A lot of the problems seem to come down to the carbs in outboards and the advice is always: "take them off and clean them out".<br />Seems like reasonable advice and usually does the trick but quite often I see threads where the same carbs are taken off and cleaned, then adjusted then rebuilt maybe four or five times so here's the question:<br /><br /> Do people always use new gaskets when stripping and cleaning carbs or are they reusing the old gaskets? <br /><br />Forgive me if it seems a stoopid question but it really has me flummaxed as it seems that some people will remove the carbs several times but there is never a mention of "went back to the shop and got another gasket kit...."<br /><br />just another weird question from a tired old Scotsman :rolleyes:

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Carb rebuilding: another dumb question

Ah, - there you have it Bro.<br /><br />That's the difference between the land of plenty and the rest of us. Here, we reuse absolutely any ole darn thing!<br /><br />I've reused carb gaskets, made my own out of cornflake packets, and recut different gaskets to fit another carb. But I guess someone'll here'll tell you never to do that!<br /><br />You're a fellow Scot. Use your noddle.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I reuse gaskets that are still sound and flexible. If they are damaged or brittle I replace them or make new ones.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

here in the land of plenty I dont reuse many gaskets, and try to do things strictly by the manuals. however down in Rio Chico Venezuela and another close by but smaller place that I cant spell you wont belive some of the tools and gaskets we make. cause a lot of times the part is not in the country and we cant wait for it to get shipped and clear customs. the mail system there really does not work and UPS and DHL are spotty once outside caracas. so sometimes it comes down to creative engineering. but I do try to insure the materiels used are compatible with the use. funniest tool I ever saw there was for removing and installing the prop shaft carrier nut on a v6 yam. its a front hub from a toyota 4wd with 6 3/8ths bolts and a handle welded to it. works like a champ but the tightening torque is a guess :) :) .

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There should be no reason to remove and disassemble a carb more than once if the "rebuild" or "cleaning" is done correctly. Note I said rebuild or cleaning as these are two separate actions. A rebuild includes total disassembly, thorough cleaning, and reassembly with a new kit, new float if needed and replacement of any other damaged internals. Cleaning is just that, removal, disassembly, thorough cleaning and reassembly using existing parts and gaskets. This process is used out of necessity on some parts of the globe, but very often results in the necessity of doing it two or three times and eventually fabricating new gaskets as was previously mentioned.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Cheers for the replies, it was one of those things that niggled away at me.....<br /><br />I've made gaskets at home for loads of things in the past: the daftest one ever had to be a Mini engine block to flywheel casing gasket at 1am in the morning made from an old offcut of lino flooring and it worked :D <br /><br />thanks again

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

One of the reasons some of the people you were reading about had to remove their carbs multiple times may have been because they were reusing old gaskets. I would say that if a gasket has been on for more than a couple weeks it is old, and if you have to remove it, should be replaced (here in the land of plenty) as a matter of course. If the gaskets looks primo you might be able to reuse it. I would be less concerned if someone has just installed new gaskets in a rebuild on Saturday and decided to reuse gaskets because they had to go back in on Sunday and redo something. Sometimes its just about reducing the number of variables for the things that might be wrong. I don't want to put it back together and then wonder if my old cracked gasket has anything to do with the a poorly running engine.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

The job of a gasket is to provide a seal between two surfaces. if a gasket has been compressed it is less likely to provide a good seal than a new one - - still there are times when we use the old ones with no problems.<br /><br />From what I read here the bigger problem with carbs having to be rebuilt two, three or more times is lack of a good cleaning. To many cleaning means brushing off the outside with mineral spirits and an old paint brush.