Can't Set timing on 88 Force 125hp to 28 Degrees

Bry21317

Chief Petty Officer
I am having a hard time getting the timing on my Force 125 HP engine, it is the C version of this engine on the model number, timed. I have been using a Timing light, all carbs are synced and running perfect with each other. <br /><br />I have double checked that when the #1 piston is at TDC, that TDC on the flywheel lines up with the pointer correctly.<br /><br />My problem is that every time that I have tried to set the timing, I am unable to get it to 28 degrees before TDC. I am putting it in idle, pushing the throttle down so it is now in gear and the prop is spinning. I have tried every adjustment that I can think of and have read the manual inside out about 7 times (Literally). It is driving me crazy not being able to get the timing to line up.<br /><br />When I do manually push the timing over without the linkages attached, and engine running, to where it lines up, it runs pretty bad compared to how it is running now at about 14 to 17 degrees BTDC (Guessing on these numbers). <br /><br />I have gotten it to the point where the engine runs the best right now, but I am still not correctly timed. I did re read the manual again last night and read for every engine that it talked about in there, to see if I could pick up on anything else, I might have missed. The only thing that I am able to say I have not tried is removing all the plugs, putting it in WOT then cranking it while using the timing light.<br /><br />Should this make any difference or should it be the same?<br /><br />I am really stumped on this one, and it is driving me crazy not being able to figure it out.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Bryan Cox

lonewolf5347

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Can't Set timing on 88 Force 125hp to 28 Degrees

well here it goes.34BTDC STATIC TIMING.REMOVE SPARK PLUGS FROM ENGINE.YOU DO NOT WANT ENGINE TO START.REMOVE THE PROPELLER.ATTACH A TIMING LIGHT TO NO ONE CYLINDER.SHIFT ENGINE INTO FOWARD GEAR@ THEN WIDE OPEN THROTTLE.CRANK ENGINE OVER WHILE AIMING TIMMING LIGHT AT TIMMING MARK'S MAKE NECESSARY CHANGESBY AJUSTING ROD ON TRIGGER HOUSING GOOD LUCK. ;)

Bry21317

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Can't Set timing on 88 Force 125hp to 28 Degrees

Thanks Lonewolf. <br /><br />I feel stupid now. I pulled the plugs last night, hit it with the Timing light and dead on 30 Degrees at WOT and dead on 28 Degrees at cranking speed in gear. <br /><br />I had tweaked the timing on Sunday by listening to it and getting it to run as to what sounded the best. It just so happened that I did get the timing set correctly from listening to it.<br /><br />I made sure to write this in the manual in large print to make sure I don't miss it next time. I hope this simple overlooking will help someone else in the forums in the future.<br /><br />Thanks again,<br />Bryan Cox