chrysler 140hp help

I am after a bit of help...<br />I am thinking of purchasing a ski boat, which has a Chrysler 140hp, I can not determine the age of the motor, it is cream and has a very box like look to it(not much help huh)..<br />this motor has been rebuilt 2 years ago and used 2 times since, are these motors reliable??? <br />I do not know any one who has run one of these before.<br />What do you recomend I should do, the owner is going to take the boat out with me before I comit, what should I look for and listen out for<br /><br />Thanks

kevlar3000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: chrysler 140hp help

I would not rely on a Chrysler for any performance needs, esp skiing. They are spotty on reliability, tricky to find parts for. If you are looking at an older boat I would look for one with a good Merc, Evinrude/Johnson, Yammi ect. As much fun as it is to get a new boat, you will be really sad if you get one with questionable power.

D

DJ

Forester,<br /><br />I would look elsewhere. That engine has been out of production for a long time. I suspect that getting parts for anything, considering where you are, would be tough. You don't need the added aggrevation of finding parts for a dinosaur.<br /><br />The Chryslers were very old tech. and never seemed to put out the power they claimed. The word "finicky" also comes to mind.<br /><br />If you really like the boat, fine, just don't expect much from the engine. The seller knows this too.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

G'day Forester,<br /><br />Unless you're a devil with wrenches, do not mess with an old Chrysler.<br /><br />They tend to 'entertain' more in the shed that on the water :(

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I hate to have to agree with all the above, but I do. If the price is right (figure paying 450buks out of what you are spendin for this package for the motor by itself)...Now, is the rest of the boat worth the remainder of what u are paying?<br />If not, walk-off.<br />And i'm being generous with that 450 figur..It should include re-mounting costs in that 450.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP, YOU SAVED ME A LOT OF TROUBLE IM SURE???<br /><br />THANKS AGAIN GUYS<br />VERY APPRECIATIVE