Force 125 - Broken Ring - & Care????

jimdi

Cadet
I have around a 1988 or 89 force 125 I bought in excellent conditon used (seemed to have very few hours on it) We faithfully care for it and probably put about 20 -30 hours a summer on it. In the fall we winterize it and change the lower unit fluid.<br /><br />This past week we broke a ring while skiing. What would cause this???<br /><br />I have heard Forces have "carbon problems that break rings" is this true ???<br /><br />Someone talked about de-carboning - HOW DO I DO THIS CORRECTLY?????<br /><br />What can I do to prevent this from happening again - this is the first problem I have had with this engine in over 4 years.<br /><br />please email me at jimdi@localnet.com<br /><br /> :mad: jimdi@localnet.com :confused:

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Force 125 - Broken Ring - & Care????

jim, why do these motors eat pistons an rings????sometimes just because the stars lined up right.....the piston ring/ring land design wasn't what we nowadays would call durable....quality control during manufacture wasn't the best....and the way they are cared for has a big effect, too.....what is average life on these motors? you get 10 to 12 years, and then something eats them...if this is the first time the motors been down, then you are about due......I have seen these motors go from happy an healthy to 'wont even start' in less than a CASE of cheap oil...carbon build up is a problem..see about the CHEAP OIL...good fuel and good oil and excessive carbon is a moot point...

jimdi

Cadet

Ok - so aren't all TCW III oils OK - If not which are the best to use? I have had people reccommend Quicksilver or Walmarts brand - hows that for extremes?<br /><br />What about carbon build up - how to you clean that out of your engine??????<br /><br />jim :confused: jimdi@localnet.com

manowar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you can take the head of and clean replace head gasket or you can spray power tune in the carbs and burn the old out while runnung but you will never know what kind of carbon build up you have until you look<br /> taking the head off 1 time will start a sequence you know and then youll just have to power tune regularly

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Quicksilver and Wal-Mart (Super Tech) extremes, Jim???<br />I contend that Super Tech IS Quicksilver, rebranded. It makes no more smoke, stink or carbon, and it smells, looks and feels like Quicksilver. I haven't tasted it and I don't intend to.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

jimdi

Cadet

INteresting Idea - I bought Super Tech. <br /><br /><br />thanks <br /><br />jim :eek:

jimdi

Cadet

See Above POst - <br />New Problem - <br /><br />I just had my Force 125 rebuilt - new pistons - rings - etc. (It had broken a piston ring) <br />The oil mix for break in is about 1.5 times normal - and the timing is retarded. I drove it for the first time yesterday for about 4 hours- and it has a more vibration than normal - and it has developed a MISS - it kicks - about the time that the trottle plates start to open. <br /><br />The idle mixture seems right. <br /><br />Any ideas what would cause this? <br /><br />It smoothes out at higher RPM - but the mid-ranges all seem rough. <br /> :confused: