Mercury EFI 25 hp vs merc 2-stroke 25hp

jjbuoni

Seaman Apprentice
I am considering the purchase of a mercury 25hp. The 2-stroke has been around for years and I have been satisfied with my previous merc 2-stroke ,15hp.<br />The 4 stoke EFI is about $1000 more. So the big question, "Is it worth it?".<br /><br />I think the 25hp EFI is relatively new, so are their any bugs in it?<br /><br />Much Thanks

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercury EFI 25 hp vs merc 2-stroke 25hp

Hi,<br />If You want to get a proven 25 hp 4-stroke, get the Yamaha F25 (carburators, not that heavy).<br /><br /> Link <br /><br />If You want the "latest" the Mercury 25 EFI is a strong candidate. The EFI is probably very nice and will mean instant starts in almost any weather and probably very good fuel consumption.<br />But You will be "testpilot" since it is new and unproven in real life use. But someone has to be first...<br /><br />Can't go wrong with an old 2-stroke with carburators but it will not be possible to buy a new such outboard after 2006 because of environmental regulations. You can use it of course. May (or may not) have effect on resale value if you want to sell it later.<br /><br />Yamaha 25 hp 2-stroke could also be a good choice.<br /><br /> Link

pwiseman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would not be afraid of the new 25 efi. Merc has been converting everyting to EFI and finally made it down to 25 HP. The powerhead is not new, it is the same as the 30 and 40 HP they make now. Also note that 30 and 40 EFI models have been out for awhile now. Somehow they shaved a lot of weight off this motor. Big displacement, EFI, low wieght all make this something to look real hard at. IN general the merc EFI models have been very solid. I owned a 2002 50 EFI for 3 years and it was wonderfull motor. Always fired right up on cold November mornings in Minnesota.<br /><br />The 25 classics are solid, proven, and about 50 lbs lighter. They won't idle down like the four stroke though. Personally, I prefer the Yamaha 25 2 stroke because of the throttle linkage on the small mercs. yammie 25 has an edge on reliabilty, but mercs are not breaking much either<br /><br />I looked at 25 4 strokes pretty hard. I ranked them as such before the merc 25 EFI came out:<br />1. Honda (3 cylinders, good displacement, a few more lbs than yammie).<br />2. Yamaha (lightest available - negatives include two cylinders and less displacement)<br />3. Merc 25 Bigfoot - more or less same powerhead as yamaha, but heavier and geared for thrust. Not really a good fit for me.<br />4. Johnson/Suzuki - not a good choice at 212 lbs.<br /><br />You hear a lot about 2 strokes being able to deliver more power than 4 strokes. I agree in most cases. I don't think this would be the case here though. 25 EFI has 748 CC vs about 400 on the two stroke.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The Mercury 25 HP, 4-stk, EFI is a Tohatsu that Mercury has Tohatsu paint black and put Mercury decals on.

pwiseman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by INTERNETOUTBOARDS:<br /> The Mercury 25 HP, 4-stk, EFI is a Tohatsu that Mercury has Tohatsu paint black and put Mercury decals on.
Where did you get this info?<br />Tohatsu has no 25 HP EFI motor on the website. Could be they are not as fast as merc on the web side though.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

From Tohatsu...about nine months ago. Then in February I looked at the prototype for five days. They have not been released yet.

pwiseman

Petty Officer 1st Class

So what did you think of the motor when you got a look at it? Sounds very promising, and Tohatsu does not make junk.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

EFI is better than a carb in terms of fuel efficiency, but four-strokes, regardless of brand(even my own), do not impress me.