Honest mechanic???

ruflair

Cadet
I wish I had discovered this web site before a minimum 1400.00 oil gear repair.How do you make sure you get what you pay for?I go to this shop twice now with a ingrown toenail and come out with a heart transplant.I am mechanically inclined and have made sure all maintenace has been done on this motor and can't believe that to fix this problem it took three men to break loose the rusted bolts!Oh they had to heat them with a torch hence gasket replacement.I am fanatical on spraying down the engine with CRC26 and have never seen any rust matter a fact engine looks brand new!Anything I can look for or ask when I pickup the boat.Thanks

monoshock

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Honest mechanic???

Welcome aboard ruflair, how old is the motor?

ruflair

Cadet

The oil warning horn was sounding..I was told it would run 1000.00.They have had it for a month up from two weeks.

ruflair

Cadet

It is a 1994 175 mercury serial #od280839..I bought the motor new and it might have 500 hrs.The last four years I ran it in the drive way but did all maintenance..Including taking it to him last year for a tune and ended up with rebuilt carburetors?

ruflair

Cadet

Oh in case you hadn"t guessed this is a trailered never left in the water boat!!

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Salt or fresh?<br /><br />Makes a big difference to how easy the bolts come out.

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Do You flush the engine with fresh water every time you have been using the outboard in salt water? <br /><br />If not start to make that a habit now.<br /><br />Use garden house and use flushing intake (if the outboard is equipped with that) probably with outboard NOT running (see Owner's manual).<br />Or muffs, with good water pressure in garden house, on water intakes with outboard running at idle for a while.

tommays

Admiral

if it was not apart from 1994 it would be a fight and the motor might lose<br /><br />i trailer in salt water and flush the bolts still get a big salt buildup and require heat to remove without breaking<br /><br /><br />tommays

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

ya gotta post more on what they did. if the oil pump drive gear had to be replaced then its a total powerhead teardown. on a motor that old I normally eliminate the oil injection. some of the V mercs rusted away in fresh water and are impossible in saltwater.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I just posted for another guy with a v-6 that sat alot. Same problem, but his motor roached. The oil pump driven gear can rust up if the motor isn't run much. The rough rust destroys the plastic drive gear very quickly. Outboards don't like to sit around. The oil that goes thru them coats and protects the internals. Eventually it goes away exposing the metal to corrode.

ruflair

Cadet

Thanks for the great response!!Next time I'll look before I leap!!