Chrysler lil 6HP, Throttle problems and kicker prop.

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hi all, <br /><br />I have this kicker motor, its a 6HP early/mid seventies Chrysler, its in fantastic condition, and starts first pull nearly every time.<br /><br />Problem is that after cleaning the carby out,, (it was clogged up with gummed up fuel when I got it.) the moter doesnt' rev correctly (it bogs down if you don't work it up slowly) and randomly misses or backfires at low revs.. <br /><br />I was told by the outboard mechanic here that it just needed the throttle linkage adjusted (it uses a lever to the stator to control the carb and advance apparantly. and he was completely sure that was the problem)<br /><br />Anyway, he couldnt' do it then and he told me to keep calling back and he'd fit me in.. but I am getting sick of waiting...<br /><br />Does anyone know a method of setting this up correctly?<br /><br />Also, I use this motor on a much bigger boat than its used to, and I think I need to change the prob for one that will put less load on the motor,, how do you chose the rigth size kicker prop?<br /><br /><br />kindest regards<br /><br /><br />Frank<br />Perth WA.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Chrysler lil 6HP, Throttle problems and kicker prop.

Something was missed in the carb (a jet or something), or the fuel pump has a check valve hanging-up in it.<br />Being that the carb was varnished-up pretty good, my guess would be the latter.<br />Can't help ya much on the prop,but try this link to Michigan Wheel.<br /><br /> http://www.valleymarine.com/mwc02.html

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Chrysler lil 6HP, Throttle problems and kicker prop.

Thanks Mr 12footer..<br /><br />I am not sure that is the case however, I did an extremely careful job on the carby, it was spotless and all the jets blew though clean... also I tried pumping the primer bulb while it was running to see if it could force fuel past a small blockage..<br /><br />It made no difference.. <br /><br />Thats why I asked the boat guy, and he said that chrysler used a weird linkage for the throttle, the position of which is determined by some lobs at the bottom of the stator..<br /><br />One thing I did notice, dont' know if its strange or not,, but the carb doesn't open till after about half of WOT or more..<br /><br />Has anyone tuned this on one of those motors?<br /><br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank