Carbon Guard or De-Carb???

fishthebay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys:<br /><br />I know I have asked questions pertaining to de-carbing my engine before (85HP 1987 Force) but am going to ask again.<br /><br />I have had absolutely no problems with this motor running wise. I take it out every 3rd night for fishing and run about 6-8 miles in the Chesapeake Bay.<br /><br />I have never decarbed this engine.(Had it for 4 years) It runs fine and I don't want to mess with it since its been such a good runner.<br /><br />My mechanic suggested carbon guard by OMC to put in the fuel tank vs a spray decarb. He said that for a motor of this age its runs awesome.<br /><br />Do you recommed this carbon guard fuel additive on the spray, or not at all????<br /><br />I am running quicksilver premium 2 cycle outboard oil.<br /><br />Thanks

manowar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Carbon Guard or De-Carb???

seems like the spray would be in your system less than an additive to the fuel my rep from where i bought my force said never run a additive in the tank and i cant remember if he said it actually corodes or something the fuel tank may be leave a film in side of it ? when I do mine Im spraying glad to hear a force hung in there that long

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Carbon Guard or De-Carb???

I have a Force 50HP, Force 120HP and Merc7.5HP. I tried the fuel additives, but my Force engines would foul out after even minor idling distances. I switched to the spray twice a year . I have had no problems with the spray, except for what it does to plugs.So if you decide to go with the spray every 60hours, change out the plugs just afterwards.