Compression results for my 1976 Chrysler 55HP

turtle1173

Chief Petty Officer
Hi,<br /><br /> Well I finally got a compression guage and went out this morning to check it out. I warmed the engine for several minutes before taking the results. Here it is:<br />Top Cyl.: In neutral - 157: WOT - 169<br />Bottom: Neutral - 156: WOT - 165<br /><br />Does this seem high to you all? Does that mean anything? I've been putting off doing this for a long time because I was afraid of what I might find. Are these results too high? If so, what causes it and what can I do? I don't think I've ever heard of too high of compression but who knows??<br /><br />shane

G DANE

Commander
Re: Compression results for my 1976 Chrysler 55HP

Hi Turtle<br /><br />Compression is great - not the thing to worry about. Sounds like you got a good sound engine.

crazyray

Petty Officer 2nd Class

not sure on your post to check compression you remove all spark plugs.....spin motor over with starter 3 -4 revolutions....is this how you did it?......just had the impression you had motor running?.....if so your readings are not accurate...........hope you get it going and enjoying the water soon

turtle1173

Chief Petty Officer

I ran the engine several minutes to warm it up, shut her down, removed both plugs and then did the compression check.<br /><br /> Well I'm glad that's one less problem I have to worry about :D <br /><br />Thanks,<br />Shane