Force 85, getting water in l/u

StevenW

Cadet
I have an 89 force 85 on a 1700 Bayliner Capri. I'm getting a little water in the lower unit, just enough to turn the oil a creamy color. I've changed the oil the last couple of times I've been out and the same thing happens. I've changed the gaskets on the vent, fill and drain screws and I still get the same thing. What other seals should I change? shift rod, drive shaft and propeller? <br /><br />I just got this boat this year from my dad and it hasn't been quite properly maintained. I've pulled the carbs off and they're pretty nasty, but I cleaned them pretty well. I also changed the plugs and impeller. What else do I need to change/clean or anything else I can do to keep this motor running well. It runs great now, but I don't want to have trouble with it in the future.<br /><br />Thank's for reading through all this and thanks in advance for any help.<br /><br />-Steven

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Force 85, getting water in l/u

Hi, Steven. You have a bad prop shaft seal, shift shaft seal, drive shaft seal, or impeller seal. Buy a seal kit, and a fitiing that will allow you to hook a pressure gauge to iether the vent or fill screws. Fill a garbage can with water,charge the lower unit with 15Lbs (no more) of air, nd look for bubbles. If no bubbles, rotate the driveshaft by hand clockwise, and jiggle the shift shaft. The bad seal will reveal itself by emitting bubbles.

StevenW

Cadet

Thanks for the reply, I'll try that this weekend and let you know how it goes monday. Anything else I should go ahead and do while I'm in here?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

L/U's can be very easy, or a nightmare, depending on what kind it is, and how deep u gotta dig to fix it. Some guys will buy the seal kit,and not rest until the bag is empty. I've learned not to fix what aint broken, except when it comes to impellers and all gaskets I remove. Everything else is inspected and carefully reassembled if all is within spec. <br />I said all that to say, don't worry about having an empty seal package when the unit is bolted-up. Go no deeper than needed to regain a solid, watertight seal. But then,this is just my opinion when it comes to this issue.Others may tell you complete teardown...And I'll bet they got a hydrolic press LOL

StevenW

Cadet

I don't plan to go any farther into the lower unit than I already have, I was really asking any general preventative maintenance I could/should do to the engine/boat as a whole. It being an older boat and all. I've got the carbs apart to clean as well, now I just have to wait to get paid ;) I'd just like to do anything I need to now while I have it apart and have the wife convinced it needs to be done. Thanks again for your help.

Fouled Plug

Ensign

Steven, after you've put this thing back together, give it a good decarbonizing. Forces tend to make more black stuff than other motors. I like the fuel additive types (SeaFoam, Yamaha's Ring Free) but the sprays work well also. THe bonus with the fuel additives is the maintenance dose you can run in every tank to keep the goo away. :)

lonewolf5347

Chief Petty Officer

steve on my 120 was taking on water like a blender.problem was the top seal in lower unit.on the 120 there are three seal on a plastic housing cover plate .coast $85.00 for part.