"GLENN'S" mercury workshop manual

Dunaruna

Admiral
I been doing a bit of a tidy up and found an old merc workshop manual. It's a "Glenn's Outboard Motor Repair & Tuneup Guide, Mercury All Models Through To 1974".<br /><br />Is it worth keeping? I mean, is it akin to a clymers or a genuine manual?<br /><br />Aldo

ZmOz

Captain
Re: "GLENN'S" mercury workshop manual

Burn it. Immediately. I have one...it's about as useful as a manual meant for a honda civic.

Triton II

Commander

Hey, Duna... just received the official service manual on CD-Rom direct from Yamaha. It covers the F50A, F60A and FT60B. THat means it probably covers your 4-stroke Merc. If you want a copy, either disc or printout, just ask. Cheers,<br /><br />Mark.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Thanks for the offer but your about 2 weeks too late :( . Just took out a second morgage and ordered the genuine manual - man do we get scr#wed on boat stuff downunder :confused: <br /><br />What did that cost you?<br /><br />Are the yammies and the mercs the same?

Triton II

Commander

Sorry to hear about the second mortgage but I only received the disc today. Cost... zip, nuna, not a sausage! I asked a colleague at Yamaha Aus and he sorted it. I understand Merc "Big foots" are basically Yam "High Thrusts" with black paint. Been wrong before though! :rolleyes:

Dunaruna

Admiral

Interesting, I'll have to research further into this revelation. Thanks.

Triton II

Commander

OK, let me know if it's true... but there are a lot of similarities in the specs - so if the Merc powerhead/lower leg isn't built by Yam they must have copied every spec before designing an exact replica!<br /><br />Yam specs:<br />GENERAL <br />O/M Transom Height (mm/in) 530 (20.9) <br />Weight (kg) with prop. 115 <br />Engine Type 4 Cylinder <br />Displacement cm³ 996 <br />Bore x Stroke (mm) 65 x 75 <br />Output (kw/hp) 60 (44.1) <br />Max. Operating Range (rpm) 5000-6000 <br />Compression Ratio 9.5:1 <br />Scavenging Single Overhead Camshaft <br />Ignition CDI microprocessor <br />Gear Ratio 12:28 (2.33) <br />Fuel Management EFI <br />FEATURES <br />Operation Method Remote Control <br />Lubrication Wet Sump <br />Starting System Electric <br />Tilt & Trim Method Wide Range Power Tilt & Trim <br />Prime Start™ Standard <br />Engine Stop Watch Lanyard On Remote Control Box <br />Shallow Water Drive Standard <br />Alternator 17 A <br />Rectifier Regulator Standard <br />Start in Gear Prevention On Remote Control Box <br />Overheat Warning Standard <br />Over Revolution Prevention Standard <br />Remote Control Box Standard <br />Speedometer Digital Meter <br />Tachometer Digital Meter <br />Trim Meter Standard <br />Propeller Standard <br />Fuel Tank Remote <br />Separate Fuel Tank Capacity (litres) 24 <br />Emergency Start Rope Standard <br /><br /><br />Merc Specs:<br />60 EFI BigFoot<br />Specifications<br />HP @ Prop: 60<br />kW @ Prop: 44.1<br />Max RPM (WOT): 5500-6000<br />Cylinder/Configuration: 4 (in-line)<br />Displacement (cc): 996<br />Bore & Stroke (mm): 65 x 75<br />Cooling System: Water-cooled w/thermostat<br />Ignition System: ECM 555 Digital Inductive<br />Starting: Electric <br />Gear Ratio: 2.33:1<br />Gear Shift: F-N-R<br />Steering: Remote<br />Alternator Amp: 18<br />Alternator Watt: 223<br />Trim System: Power trim<br />Exhaust System: Through prop<br />Lubrication System: Wet sump w/ pressurized lube system<br />Recommended Oil: Mercury 4-Stroke Outboard Oil<br />Fuel Induction System: 2-valve single overhead cam<br />Shaft Length (inches): 20<br />Shaft Length (mm): 508<br />Dry Weight (lbs.): 264<br />Dry Weight (kg.): 120<br />Operator Warning System: Overheat<br />Available Propellers: Consult current dealer propeller guide<br />SmartCraft: Yes<br />CARB Star Rating: 3<br />Warranty: 3 years

orca

Chief Petty Officer

Yam & merc shared the powerhead for many of their models, Everything from the powerhead down is differant.<br />For the 40-50-60 The powerhead was built by Merc and shared by the two companies. For many years the Yam was Carby & the Merc EFI<br />The 75-90-115 powerhead is built by Yam<br />I understand that this arrangement is about to finish, Yam I believe have now built their own 4 40-60 Range, Merc are working on their 75-115 Hp motors

Dunaruna

Admiral

Thanks whaley.<br /><br />Hey Mark, i got ONE extra amp than you - na na na na na :p

Triton II

Commander

:cool: - from what I hear you need it! And about 20 big solar panels to power that floating palace of yours. :)

Triton II

Commander

Whaley. Just got off the phone to a guy named Rodney in Yamaha Australia's marine tech services department who says Yamaha built the powerheads for Mercury in all capacities mentioned above not the other way around. Rodney claims there are no Yamaha powerheads built by anyone other than Yamaha. I don't have any contacts at Mercury so can't fully establish Rodney's claims. Maybe Duna will come up with something from the extensive research he has promised us! :)

Dunaruna

Admiral

The story so far ( i think), yamm and merc were in bed together re: 4 strokes, they built complete motors as a joint venture. In the 90's, yam started making powerheads for merc 4strokes in the 25 and up HP range. Since 2000, merc has been making their own (which coincided with the entry of EFI). <br /><br />So, since 2000, merc is all merc.<br />Also, mercs extreme superiority allowed them to squeeze one extra amp from their alternators.<br /><br />Stay tuned for the next riveting instalment of........WHO BUILT WHAT!!! :p

Triton II

Commander

Oh nooooo! He's on a mission! :eek: Maybe the extra amp zapped him! :D

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wow!<br /><br />And all this from a "Glenns Motor and Tune Up Guide"<br /><br />What a book. Don't burn it - I'll bid for it!

Dunaruna

Admiral

The saga continues - <br /><br />Tohatsu definately make the smaller mercs (2.5, 3.5, 4 & 5), I've found articles to that effect dated 2004, and ALL of the nissan outboards. Can't find any evidence that any other merc HP is built by tohatsu or yamaha. Yamaha and merc DID have an agreement to share technology but everything I've read thus far has indicated that that agreement stopped in 2000.<br /><br />One interesting thing I did find - in 2004, mercury complained to the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the amount of japanese outboard imports, including parts - not just complete outboards. That would tend to show that they are not in bed with anybody anymore - whatya think?<br /><br /> http://ia.ita.doc.gov/frn/0408frn/04-18453.txt <br /><br />Aldo