force running or not

iperez

Recruit
I have a 10 hp force that was sitting up for years. Had it cleaned up. Carb cleaned etc. and now it running great for about 30 min. then dies. Usally very hard to crank after. I don't know anything about marine engines. Can any help. Thanks <br />big :confused:

fishthebay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: force running or not

Did you replace with fresh gas before you started the motor? Are you using a metal or plastic tank? Is you gas tank new or old?<br /><br />I would suspect sediment sucked up into the fuel system somewhere.<br /><br />Make sure you fuel is fresh and you fuel lines are clean.

fishthebay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe your fuel oil ratio is to rich. Meaning maybe you have more of the requried oil in the fuel and the carb is drownding in that stuff.<br /><br />**When the engine dies, screw off your fuel filter and dump it out. Look for sediment. Screw it back on and start it up again.<br /><br />My little kicker motor has the same problem and I adjusted the screw on the carb to make it less rich. Backed out the screw a bit until I got a good smooth idle.

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Big,<br />Is your gas tank vented? Next time the motor quits, open the gas tank cap....do you hear a whoosh of air? Does your primer bulb flatten out? Both indicators of an unvented gas tank. Hope this easy fix helps. :) <br />Backlash