Force 40 piece of Junk!!!

Cwr

Seaman Apprentice
Okay after a 3 month stay at the boat shop where they changed out all the exhaust system to fix the exhaust leaking into the cawl, the carb has been rebuilt, the fuel pump has been rebuilt twice, I changed out the hose to the motor, bulb primer, quick connector, all hoses inside the cawl, plugs, all compression checks out good. I have tried to hook a remote tank up too, and still the motor will not run as smooth as it once did. I also changed out the prop. When I hit WOT it surges in and out just enough to agrivate me. You can tell something is not right but I have no clue what is the problem neither does the mechanics, can anyone shed some light on my dreary situation?

Fouled Plug

Ensign
Re: Force 40 piece of Junk!!!

Have you or the shop managed to eliminate the ignition as the source of your problems?

Deerdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Force engine like to eat stators. Sound like a problem I had on my force a while bakc and it ended up being the stator.

Cwr

Seaman Apprentice

I'm to the point where I don't know what all they have done. I asked the other day about maybe a reed fluttering from weakness and was told that the reed only comes into play on idle, and are all the way open when the engine is wide open. Now I don't know alot about outboards but I do know a bit about 2 stroke motorcyles, and I know what he told me made me doubt his knowledge. I wish I know how to check the stator myself because if I take it back to them it may be another 3-4 weeks before I get it back, and it's fishing time here in south Mississippi.

petryshyn

Commander

have you tried running the engine with the hood off?

Cwr

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah I tried that back when the exhaust was leaking in the cawl, it made a big difference, but its hard to really see if it is running true, because of how loud it seems to run with the cover off, but it did make a big difference with it off in the amount of pickup and power it had. What do you think may be wrong?