cylinders' scored,replace1 or 3 pistons?

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer
1996 Force 75HP x 3 cylinder,#1 cylinder moderately scored,low compression, others good with good compression.<br />Question- Do I HAVE to either hone or bore ALL cylinders or can I just do the defective one? Probably only have to go .020" over max.<br />with new piston and ring. <br />Question- cooked due to overheat, problem remedied. What will happen if I run it this way. More serious damage or just a poor running motor?

norman158

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: cylinders' scored,replace1 or 3 pistons?

i think if this was mine i would bore all 3 cyls and do it right the first time so i dont have to do it over later

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Completely acceptable to bore one cyl. The weight differences in oversised pistons on these machines is not enough to throw them off balance.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I'm with hondon on this one. Save your bux and fix what's broke.<br /><br />JB
smile.gif

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

" If it ain't broke don't fix it." After doing one cylinder observe standard breakin period.

kenthrussell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi i hear ya on the overheat isue been there too,you can bore or sleeve the one cylinder and go oversize and beleive it or not the weight of the over piston if you were going 20 thou over is excatly the same as the standard pistons,just check all all cyl. walls for scoring and i would replace all rings while you have it apart and it will be fine...........

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the advice...I'm off to see the machine shop tra-la-tra-la-tra-la....