non starting force 125 2nd posting please help!

sherick007

Cadet
the problem is as follows,<br />1. put throttle in warm up (full throttle).<br />2. choke until it farts through carbs.<br />3. release choke motor starts right up.<br />4. pull throttle back to put'er in gear, she <br />dies, see step one.<br />5. repeat until you are lucky enough to get<br />her moving then she runs fine until you slow down again at which time she idles about 20-30 seconds and dies. (see step 1 )<br /> I posted this problem about a month ago and <br />got some good answers from page62 and sony2001. I rebuilt the carbs and fuel pump per their suggestions and also changed all of the fuel lines and the squeeze ball. It runs great in the driveway, but that gets boring and the fishing sucks! I have noticed that sometimes the squeeze ball gets hard and sometimes it don't. when I rebuilt the carbs I noticed that the casting numbers were differen't and that the color of the castings wasn't the same. When I opened them the jet in the bottom carb was a .094 and the top was a .1015. Did someone switch a carb? if so , which is the right jet? I need help as we had had to get towed in this weekend due to a dead battery from trying to get it started, and now the wife wan'ts it fixed or gone. <br /> PLEASE HELP,<br /> R.J.Byrnes

sherick007

Cadet
Re: non starting force 125 2nd posting please help!

I also read a posting about a guy who installed a small electric fuel pump and this<br />cured his starting problems, does this sound worthy of a try?

clanton

Rear Admiral

What is compression and year of engine?

sherick007

Cadet

the motor is a 1987 and compression is in the 125-135 range

clanton

Rear Admiral

Sounds like you have a sound motor. Will know about jet size and carbs tomorrow.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Dang, RJ!! I wish I had some magic answer to your problem, but if I did 80% of the engine problems on this board wouldn't be FORCE problems. Don't get me wrong, FORCE engines can be very reliable and give good service, but only if maintained well. . . .and too many aren't maintained at all 'til they croak and then get the cheapest short-cut maintenance possible to get them to pop again. . . .or, more likely: get sold to a new boater who is vulnerable and doesn't know what (s)he is getting. <br /><br />Well, end of speech. Let's see what you've got.<br /><br />You are idling on only one carb, and not well on that. The other one is making no power until you get off the line. I am not a FORCE-spert, so I don't know what you should have in the way of carb/jet packages, but I really doubt that one carb should have a .094 and the other a .1015 jet. Your description of the performance suggests that the jets in question are low speed jets, but with a FORCE that appears to have been jerry rigged by a shade-tree jerk, we just don't know, do we?<br /><br />You need a good manual, 007. Get the carburetion into synch with the design and let's proceed from there.<br /><br />Red Sky.<br />JB
smile.gif

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

R.J. wife wants it fixed or gone....if you like the boat, maybe time for professional help?

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

Hi sherick 007. Two things stand out in your<br />posting. 1 The jet size is .094" at sea level to 3000'above. Any changes should be only .002" at a time and less not more. 2 Good compression is considered 145-165 lbs psi. You need a good decarbonization! Recently I needed a new {used} power pack. The shop changed my plugs over to Champion L76V I think from NKG. The engine combustion now sounds crisper and thus a cleaner burn.<br />Courage my man. New boats are new problems!

clanton

Rear Admiral

Top carb jet .101 Bottom carb jet .094 . You can check the ignition with timing light, one cylinder at a time if light not steady that cylinder in misfiring.

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

That larger carb jet is perfectly suited for operating at 10,000 feet below sea level. It could be from a 150 hp!

sherick007

Cadet

so, inconclusion are both jets supposed to be the same size or different? I don't wan't to sound dense but it sounds like clanton is saying they are correct and sony says no.<br /> Also would a shop manual have decarbonizing <br />proceedures?<br /> thanks a ton for all of your wisdom and help,<br /> R.J. Byrnes

clanton

Rear Admiral

Jet sizes is size listed in service manual. I also looked at 3 other 1987 engines same size. IF your carb needle, seat, and float or ok, next step is check magnet in flywheel, trigger, stator, power pac, coil. Connect timing light<br />to one cylinder at a time run engine, if ignition problem light will not be steady. You can reglue the manget in the flywheel, if it is loose careful remove manget with putty knife/razer clean re epoxy. Magnet should go back in like it came out, it has a north and south pole. wires from trigger are very small and break easly , check them. These engines have a JUNK ignition system, but can be made to run very well. The black power pac and coil are early model, Blue later model. You need meter with dav function to check ignition system see www.esitest.com

clanton

Rear Admiral

Jet sizes is size listed in service manual. I also looked at 3 other 1987 engines same size. IF your carb needle, seat, and float or ok, next step is check magnet in flywheel, trigger, stator, power pac, coil. Connect timing light<br />to one cylinder at a time run engine, if ignition problem light will not be steady. You can reglue the manget in the flywheel, if it is loose careful remove manget with putty knife/razer clean re epoxy. Magnet should go back in like it came out, it has a north and south pole. wires from trigger are very small and break easly , check them. These engines have a JUNK ignition system, but can be made to run very well. The black power pac and coil are early model, Blue later model. You need meter with dav function to check ignition system see www.esitest.com