90 HP FORCE IDLE TROUBLE

regand2nats

Recruit
I have a 1990 force 90hp with trouble.The motor starts up just fine when cold and runs great.When the motor is warm and you shift into gear it is hard to keep it from stalling.When you put it in neutral and try to give it some gas it seems slugish and does not gain much RPM.Sometimes I have to put it in neutral and give it some rpms then quickly put it into gear in order for it to run.Once running probably 5mph its great.Any suggestions would be thankful.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 90 HP FORCE IDLE TROUBLE

Howdy, Reg. It sounds to me like one of your carbs isn't making any power until the throttle is opened up some. Most engines can seem to be running fine with no load on them, but not really using all cylinders. As soon as you put a load on them they gasp and cough.<br /><br />See what happens if you short out each plug, one at a time, while she idles. If you get a big drop, that cylinder is working, If you get little or no change, that cylinder is not.<br /><br />If what I suspect is true, you will identify a carb that needs cleaning. Good luck.<br /><br />Red sky at night.<br />JB
smile.gif