125 hp force i need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolbreez_69

Recruit
i bought a 1986 bayliner capri with a 125 hp force motor that does not run i dont have a clue to the world about boats the motor turns over then backfires where and how do i start to trouble shoot this??what tests can i do to narrow the problem down?if the motor is junk is the boat worth a $2000 used motor the boat is very nice? is that a good price for a rebuilt 125 force motor it is the only one i could find around here?

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 125 hp force i need help

If your patient it may run [with ears on].<br /> 1 compression check 145 lbs<br /> 2 spark check each cyl.<br /> 3 fuel pump pressure check. gas 50 to 1 oil<br /> 4 W40 down throat of carbs and see if it runs.<br /> <br /><br />------------------

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, Cool. You shouldn't have to replace that engine, but if you do, don't get another Force unless you are seeking the economy of having a full set of spare parts. You will need them.<br /><br />To start troubleshooting: First get a manual. Clymer Shop Manuals are good. Next, ensure that fresh fuel is getting to the cylinders. Then ensure that all spark plugs are firing and at the right time. By that time you will almost certainly have found something that is not as it should be. <br /><br />From your brief description I suspect that you aren't getting fuel to your carbs. Fuel tank, hoses or pump.<br /><br />Good luck and let us know your progress.<br />JB
smile.gif

JB

Sony and I aren't contradicting one another. His input is good. We were just both replying at the same time.
smile.gif

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

5 When you push in the key the choke activates.<br /><br />------------------

lonewolf5347

Chief Petty Officer

I HAVE A FORCE 120 MYSELF 1994 THE PROBLEM CAN BE THE SWITCH BOX. IT WAS MADE NOT TO LAST. I BOUGHT THE ENGINE 4 YEARS AGO FROM SOMEONE;HE REPLACED THE SWITCHBOX THE ENGINE WON'T RUN NOW: AGAIN I HAVE TO REPLACE IT IT REALLY IS THE POWER PACK

199675hpforce

Petty Officer 1st Class
7 make sure your landyard switch is on run lol

7 make sure your landyard switch is on run lol

Ok i forgot one time couldnet get her started lol flip the switch dummy lol.

tony4pyro

Cadet

I just bought the exact same boat and had the exact same problem. We discovered that there was enough condensation in the fuel tank to muck up the gas enough to allow it to start but not continue running. I drained the tank using the primer bulb to start a siphon and then put in a can of heet and fresh gas. My particular boat had sat for about a year and a half.

JB

Seven year old thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.