Force 120 Reed Valves

TimeOut

Cadet
I have a 97 120hp Force on a bayliner 1702 which I have had from new. I'm onto the third set of reed valves!. Is this a common fault with this motor?<br />It has done 176hrs, been serviced every 50hrs and this is the only problem I have had with the motor in over 4 years.<br />The dealer says problem is from over reving<br />causing the reed valve to break. I know I don't over rev the motor, as a rule I generally only get 5000rpm on the tacho and the engine is rated to 5250. I had them check the tacho and it reads correct.<br />Any help will be much appreciated.<br />Alan<br />NZ <br /><br /><br /><br />------------------

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Force 120 Reed Valves

Howdy, Timeout. I am not personally experienced with the 120 Force but here are some general thoughts: Most reed valves have a reed stop that prevents them from opening too far. An often neglected assembly/tune-up spec is adjusting the clearance between the stop and the closed reed. . . too much=broken reeds, too little=reduced power and w.o.t. rpm.<br /><br />Most reed-valve 2 strokes are sensitive to reed flexibility and material. More flexible reeds allow better breathing but higher risk of breakage.<br /><br />I don't know if Boysen makes aftermarket reeds for your engine, but it is probably worth checking out.<br /><br />Good luck.<br />JB
smile.gif

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Yes they do, JB. And that is what i was gonna sugjest he look at. Awesome reed set!

TimeOut

Cadet

Hi Jb And 12Footer<br />Thanks for your reply.<br />Appears to be not a common problem with 120 force.<br />Could you please advise Contact details for <br />Boysen ( Ph # or Web Site)<br />Thanks<br />Alan<br />******church<br />New Zealand<br /><br /><br />------------------

walkingfish

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Timeout<br />A Kiwi, thats gotta be rare in these parts!<br />I bought a Bayliner in ChCh as well, but i live in Invercargill, and bought mine second hand, (American Import) about 3 months ago.<br />I see you have found what appears to be the most informative Boat Motor site on the net
smile.gif
<br /><br />I believe i can help in your search for a set of Boyesen Reeds, as follows.....<br /><br />* Web Site (American)www.boyesen.com/products/outboard/index.html<br /><br />* New Zealand Dealer<br />SportsPro Racing Products<br />71 Barrys Point Road<br />PO Box 331005<br />Takapuna, Auckland<br />NEW ZEALAND<br />(p) (64) 09-489-7712<br />(f ) (64) 09-486-2355<br />Contact: Ian Standring<br />E-mail: 100356.1502@compuserve.com<br /><br />And wait for it....<br />* Part No.<br />Boyesen Reeds Part No. 244<br /><br />I have heard great things about these reeds, but i dont yet need to replace mine.<br />If you get them let me know what you think of them!<br /><br />Kiwis can Fly!<br />W'fish

rogerwa

Commander

I have heard that the Boysen reed are particularly sensitive to lean sneezing conditions. I have heard that Force motors tend to lean sneeze. I know mine does. If yours does, you may want to think twice about the boysen reeds.<br /><br />I would like to try them myself, but I cannot solve the lean sneezing I get when cold. I'm afraid I would bust the things first time I start it. <br /><br />I'm not an expert so this commentary may be way off.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

your right, roger...most of the 3 an 4 cyl force motors sneeze HARD on a cold start....if setup on carbs is off it gets real bad.....if you are busting steel reeds plastic wont last long unless you correct the problem...

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

You guys are very much correct. He must solve his clearance problem first, and make sure the engine is peak before hand. And carbon fiber can only handle so much sneezin.