35 HP Chrysler ........help!

JeepGuy

Recruit
I have a 35 hp chrysler motor that starts up great but the problem is that when you give it throttle it just cruises along at a very slow speed. It just wont get up and go.<br />Is the motor anygood?<br />What could be some possible problems?<br />Any help would be greatly appretiated.<br />Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 35 HP Chrysler ........help!

Yo, Jeepguy. The motor is probably good, except for not working properly. Check your throttle linkage to the carburetion and the ignition timing, clean and gap (or replace) the plugs.<br /><br />You may be trying to accellerate on one cylinder. Pull one spark plug lead when trying to go fast. It is a good idea to wear Playtex gloves when doing this. If the engine slows or dies, that cylinder is working. Try the other. If you can kill one cylinder without seriously slowing the engine, that cylinder is not making power. By swapping parts between cylinders you can probably isolate the culprit.<br /><br />Good luck.<br />JB
smile.gif

JeepGuy

Recruit

Thanks for the input.<br />When I had it out last year on the lake, the boat actually did work once for about 3 or 4 minutes(had lots of power), then it went back to the same old slow going.<br />Do you think that it could be a carburator problem?(The boat sat for a while before I bought it.) I checked the linkage and it seems ok and I did replace the spark plugs as well as bought a new gas tank.<br />When I put the engine in a pail of water and gunned the throttle it seemed to rev up as well as spin the prop very good and like I said it starts up no problem. <br /><br />------------------

JeepGuy

Recruit

Anyone else have any ideas?<br /><br />Thanks in advance.<br /><br />------------------

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Jeepguy.<br />Did you do what I suggested?<br /><br />Your symptoms show up here several times a week. The suggestions get posted over and over and over.<br /><br />Go back and read the history of a few others with the same symptoms. Then give us an update of what you have done and what results you got.<br /><br />JB
smile.gif