Force 125 Overheating ... Please Help!

PMH

Cadet
Let me start off by saying thank you! This board is a god send!<br /><br />My late 80's Force 125 overheats if pushed past 4,000 rpms for any extended period of time. As a result, I can only go about 34 mph. The boat is an 18ft Bayliner Capri with a 13-19 prop.<br /><br />My troubles all started last summer when I hit a sandbar doing about 48 mph. Very exciting. Needless to say, I sucked in some filth which soon ruined the impeller. The lack of water suction overheated the engine and blew the head gasket. Both the impeller and head gasket have been replaced. For a 15 year old engine, the inside of the engine didn't look too bad.<br /><br />But now, I can't go past 4000 rpm. Assuming its not a water pump problem, what else could it be? Here's what I've come up with:<br /><br />1)I've got some tough filth still cought in the water jscket. How would I go about flushing it out?<br />2)The 13-19 prop is too large for the engine. I did change the prop after hitting the sand bar, but replaced it with what I thought I already had on.<br />3) The fuel-air mixture is too lean causing high combustion temps. How do I adjust air-fuel mixture to know when it is correct?<br />4) I've got a build up of bad carbon letting hot gasses pass the rings. I wouldn't know how to solve this one.<br /><br />Please note that I am new to the boating world and look forward to visiting this board often. Please help me trouble-shoot this problem to get it fixed once and for all.<br /><br />Patrick

PMH

Cadet
Re: Force 125 Overheating ... Please Help!

One more thing!<br /><br />The engine blows bluish smoke out the exhaust. Maybe that little tid-bit of info will help someone to narrow my problem down.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Patrick

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

PMH, I,m pushing a heavier Bayliner with the<br />same prop on the same motor. Cross check with www.miwheel.com to see if your prop is for single exhaust 125 h.p. not dual exhaust.<br />This is a long shot!<br /><br />------------------

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

You didn't mention the thermostat. It is prime suspect.<br />Buy a new t-stat, but just pull the old one out,run it for 10minutes or so without the new one in it. Then put the new t-stat in.<br />This will allow the entire water jacket to get the maximum flow,and flush it out as good as can be done without tearing it down.<br /><br />But do put the new one in,because if you leave it out, areas in the cooling system will run cooler than others,and could warp the head or other fun stuf.

PMH

Cadet

After talking to some boat people at a local shop, they recommended I "de-carbon" the engine. They said it could help and definitely wouldn't hurt. <br /><br />So, I bought an aerosol can and sprayed the contents into the carb's. Boy did it smoke!! Is that normal?!?! <br /><br />I'm thinking about flushing the water system with a "de-scaling" flush. Its supposed to loosen and disolve foreign particles. Anyone have any experience with this? From what I can tell, the solution seems to be very acidic. It says it won't harm impeller or waterpump. I'd appreciate some real world feedback if you've done this before. <br /><br />Thanks,<br />Patrick

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Pmh, you said you replaced the impeller, but did you check the housing the impeller runs in? most force motors do not have a stainless wear sleeve in them and the aluminum wears away to the point they dont pump well at high rpm...specially if the engine is a extra long shaft....

PMH

Cadet

Thanks for the reply ODDD1.<br /><br />What should I look for to see if the housing is worn. I remember there being a pretty tight fit when I put the new impeller in. I had to twist the blades (in the proper direction) to get it to go in.<br /><br />Patrick

PMH

Cadet

Now that I've worked on the engine a bit, I'd like to see if I can cruise at WOT again. But I don't want to overheat again if the problem has not been corrected. <br /><br />Can I install a temp. guage to tell me if I'm getting close to overheating. I think the buzzer lets you know too late.<br /><br />Patrick

PMH

Cadet

What I've done so far:<br /><br />1)de-carboned the engine. It smpoked really bad. Is this normal?<br />2)Ran de-scaling flush through water cooling system.<br />3)replaced thermostat.<br /><br />And I checked out the prop size ... it looks as if I have a good size for my engine.<br /><br />Thanks to everyone!<br />Patrick

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Yes, it will smoke like the Marlboro Man at a poker game. It should clear up after about 20minutes max.

PMH

Cadet

Thanks for the reply! Yes, it did clear up after a while. I was just concerned.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Patrick