Question: Fix Force 85hp or trade for OMC? -Long

John Wilson

Cadet
Hi everyone.<br />This is my first post here and already I'm asking for advice.
smile.gif
<br /><br />I have an 1987 85 HP Force on a 15ft Glastron. I've had it since it was new and it has worked well for me until last fall. It started having proiblems shifting into forward gear and it would grind and then THUNK! Reverse was better. Adjusting the linkage did not help. This week I took it into the dealer and the news was not good. It seems that a bearing or 2 went in the lower unit and took some gears out with it. Bottom line is that the lower unit needs to be replaced or rebuilt. My options are:<br /><br />Brand new for $2500<br />Buy a rebuilt unit for $1800<br />Have dealer rebuild for $1400<br />Buy a USED unit with 30 day warranty for $950<br /><br />I was told that my Force is worth about $750 for parts or $300 as a whole BEFORE it went south. I'm trying to figur if it is worth it to fix or trade for a larger engine. The same dealer would take my motor(worth $750) plus $2900 to get me into a very good condition 1992 Johnson Pro Series 90hp V4 with power tilt/trim, installed. I know this weighs more than my Force but basically has 20 more hp. I primarily use the boat for waterskiing and my skiers are in the 160-210 lbs. range. The Force does an adequete job but deep-water starts are an exercise for the heavier skiers.<br /><br />Sorry this is so long but what I'd like to get comments on are the following questions:<br /><br />Is it worth it to fix the Force and if so what option seems like the best value?<br /><br />If I went for the Johnson trade, is this a motor I should be considering? Is it reliable and will it give me a performance boost?<br /><br />Can I get more for my Force as a parts source? The powerhead and tilt/trim are in great shape.<br /><br />Thanks in advance for all comments/suggestions. I'm really in a quandry about this.<br /><br /><br />------------------<br />John Wilson<br /><br />Timing is Everything

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Question: Fix Force 85hp or trade for OMC? -Long

Ahoy, John. Forces aren't nearly as bad as their reputation, but neither were Yugos. If you have the fortitude to part it out, you will get more for it, but that is a real hassle. It is not worth fixing if you simply measure resale value.<br /><br />The OMC V4 loopers are great engines and you have been offered a fair deal. The price looks too high until you realize he is giving you about $600 too much for your Force. <br /><br />Be sure to hold on tight the first time you crack that V4 to w.o.t., or you'll be over the transom.<br /><br />Good luck.<br />JB
smile.gif

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer

I'll have to agree with JB. The Force aint worth fixin. Go with the Johnson. It's only a few more horses, but it will feel as if someone added an extra cylinder to the Force.<br />If the Force's run fine for you since 87, then consider yourself lucky. She's tired and old and needs to be put down. hahaha
biggrin.gif

John Wilson

Cadet

I thought I'd update this process. I took the boat, motor and parts to another individual who set out on his own after working at a Merc/Force dealership for 15 years. He didn't think that the gears or dog-leg(sp?) were in bad condition at all and that they could machined to work. I'll still replace the water pump and seals as long as I'm in there but I'm now looking at a $250 bill and if it doesn't help, he said he would discount about 60%.<br /><br />I know you guys think I should go for the OMC but my finances were going to be severely taxed at this point. If I can get the Force running good again, I might be able to recoup some of the repair costs plus the $750 trade-in deal I was given should I decide to sell her this summer. I should mention that the powerhead is in excellent condition and the compression checks were all 124 or 125 psi on all 3 cylinders.<br /><br />I do like the idea of going to a 4 cylinder 90 hp motor. If I can get by this summer with the Force, next spring I can go after a 1999 or 2000 or even a new one. That way I know what kind of treatment it has received.
biggrin.gif
<br /><br />Any suggestions on what motor would work for waterskiing on a SSV-151 Glasstron? OMC, Merc, Yammy? I figure I could get $5000-6000<br />together by then.
smile.gif
<br /><br />What do you think of my plan? I am being stupid here? I'd appreciate any and all opinions!<br /><br />Thanks again. I like this Forum!<br /><br />------------------<br />John Wilson<br /><br />Timing is Everything