motor too short for hull

muninah

Recruit
I have a 115 Evinrude w/ a 20" shaft mounted on an '86 Bayliner with a 25" hull, this leaves my cv plate about 3" above bottom of the hull. My question is would a fixed jack plate mounted upside down be ok or do I really need to spend the extra $300 to get the shaft extender?<br />This is the jack plate I'd like to get - http://www.thmarine.com/product.cfm?PRID=22

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: motor too short for hull

Have you tried to run it yet? A really good prop may take care of the situation.

muninah

Recruit

haven't tried to run it yet, got a sugesstion on the prop? if i run it and it doesn't seem quite right(???) would you suggest trying a good prop or these jack plates for the price?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Munina, You do not need to mount the Jackplate upside down, just mount it 3.5 Inches lower than the transom top. Now install the motor and test and raise, test and raise until it is optimum.<br /><br />You may get away with using a really good prop, or you may not. Your best bet is the Jackplate.

Lakebiker1st

Cadet

Muninah06,<br />I had the same issue a few years ago on a Merc. You can get an extension for your lower unit, short shaft to long shaft. More than likely a lot less money than a jack plate and it's fixed forever. I assume you can also do this to a Rude?<br />Good luck. Hope this helps.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If you mount it lower via some sort of plate just be careful when tilting. Things tend to hit that way. I'd try it as is. Unless you have a worn out prop -- which would need replacing anyway. Actually if you went to a good 4 blade you might have to be that high anyway. Or even a good Turbo 3 blade.