120HP Force - 1992 I need help!

Darren

Cadet
Can anyone help? when I go into gear from idle the dam thing stalls. The idle revs are at about 1000rpm. I have heared that the idle mixture and timing etc may be set wrong and should be richer or something. Is this true and can anyone give me the settings from the workshop manual for this adjustment? thanks in advance.

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 120HP Force - 1992 I need help!

Last summer I used the manuel to set the<br />carbs, as a result I had your problem. I <br />had to return to origional idle mixture<br />setting of HALF turn on each carb to stop <br />the stalling. <br />My chat topic is on page 3, March 18.<br />I have the manuel and will bring it to the next chat. <br /><br /><br />------------------

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

My mechanics say the mixture screws should be opened 1 1/4 turns counter clockwise from<br />their seat,plus or minus 1/4 turn.<br />For manual write to Seloc Publications,<br />10693 Civi Center Drive, Rancho Cucamonga,<br />California 91730-3804.<br />Then get your RPM up or down to 850-900<br />using the idle "speed" adjustment via the<br />adj. bolt ,left of carbs, on tower shaft <br />going to timing. (its the lowest on the<br />shaft) It also controls engine RPM when<br />in gear.<br /><br />------------------

Darren

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I am pretty sure that the carbs are set correctly, as this was done in the dealers where I bought it. however the setting of the timing on idle I don't know about. Is it possible for you to give me the advanced/retard settings at idle for the motor or if I could be really cheeky, would it be possible for a scanned copy of the setup page from the manual?

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

Can't scan. The 1984 to 1988 models are 32 degrees before TDC when the ignition timing <br />is at the WOT. Lenghten or shorten screw at<br />top of tower shaft.To advance timing turn<br />screw counterclockwise. One turn equals 2 deg<br />change.<br /><br />------------------

Darren

Cadet

Thanks for your info. I will have to have a look at the weekend. I will let you know how I get on. Have fun!

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Darren, before force closed up shop they issued a service bulletin saying to change all 3 and 4 cyl force outboards to max timing of 30 degrees. i think the reason was low quality fuel 'piston durability' problems..

Darren

Cadet

Thanks ODDD1, I had the engine rebuilt last year because a piston blew, luckily it was under warranty. Have you got any good homecare tips for me?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

One thing I've had problems with that caused this propblem,was play in the carb linkage.<br />My force is a samller engine,but it cause it to idle funky.Sometimes it was fine,others, it just didn't idle high enough.<br />Check the linkage between the throttle stay and the actual butterfly arm, while someone moves the throttle back and forth (engine not running).<br />no wiggling,play or travel should be noted between throttle stay and butterfly arm.<br />If there is play, most times it can be repaired with a screwdriver,sometimes not.<br />Good luck.<br /><br />------------------<br />I'm no expert, but I DID sleep at a Holiday Inn last night!

Wayne

Recruit

Darren, I have the same problem. What seals did you replace and how difficult was it? Also, does your 120 hp force drop down to the trim position if left high in the water on tilt and power applied?

billum

Cadet

Darren, this appears to be a problem for everybody. I bought a package bass boat in 1990 with a 120 Force. And the **** thing has always died when you put it in gear. I have done everything and talk to everbody and the problem still existed. But now that is minor as I am in a complete overhaul.

Darren

Cadet

Cheers guys, I also find that it happens more when the engine is right down, it's as if the water pressure is too great for the exhaust??? I am going to have a play with the mixture and idle on the water to try and overcome the problem. If anyone has any comments please do so!<br />Wayne you lost me with the question about the seals????<br />Thanx

seaman

Cadet

all I know is if you change your idle settings you have to compensate and change you throttle linkage settings

Darren

Cadet

Thanx Seaman, It will take some time in setting, but I'll have a go. Wayne, My outboard does drop when lifted higher than the trim and a little throttle is applied. I have spoken to an agent and this is ok due to it only having one hydrolic cylinder. The other is just a shock absorber. (No pipes to it!). Although it is a pain in the backside, when in shallow water. I now know just how much throttle it can take before it drops.<br /><br />thanks for the interest guys it is appreciated! :)