force engine runs hot

chashare

Recruit
I have a 1984 50 hp Force outboard that runs hot and shuts down. There is a clear tube near the top rear of the lower unit. Water only occasionally pulls thru this tube. Can anyone suggest where I might start to locate the problem? Thanks!

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: force engine runs hot

Hi Chashare,<br />You either have a leaking head gasket or a<br />bad broken water pump impeller.<br />Pull off the plug wires and wrap a rope around the flywheel and pull it over to see<br />if one cyl rocks over easier than the other.<br />The easy one may be bad.A compression tester is best.<br />You probably have a bad waterpump. Take the LU off,4 bolts. Disconnect the shift and the <br />cover you see when it drop down contians the<br />impeller.<br />...have fun...corm

chashare

Recruit

Thanks a lot! I'll check it out. As you probably guessed, I don't have a lot of experience with boat motors--only cars.

firebird

Cadet

Originally posted by chashare:<br />I have a 1984 50 hp Force outboard that runs hot and shuts down. There is a clear tube near the top rear of the lower unit. Water only occasionally pulls thru this tube. Can anyone suggest where I might start to locate the problem? Thanks!

firebird

Cadet

Im not an expert but outboard motors have a thermostat just like cars that would be the first thing I would check

firebird

Cadet

Originally posted by chashare:<br />I have a 1984 50 hp Force outboard that runs hot and shuts down. There is a clear tube near the top rear of the lower unit. Water only occasionally pulls thru this tube. Can anyone suggest where I might start to locate the problem? Thanks!

50horce_force

Seaman Apprentice

Hey whats up man my 5 horse did the same thing. start it on the boat ramp with the calin off. Look you will prolly see water seeping through the head. If not tell some one to stand on the bank and watch you make a run tell them to be sure you have water coming out the pee hole. Sometimes if an impeller is worn it will work at low rpm but not high. Change the whole thing while your at it. And for the thermostat take that out. It will only run cooler mine has bee out for a year and runs forever. Runs like a dream