Help! I pulled the Shift Pivot Screw on my Force 125!

StuOverboard

Recruit
I just got a used Bayliner Capri with a Force 125. It had not been run in 8 years so I figured I'd replace the lower unit gear oil. Unfortunately my enthusiasm outpaced my knowledge and i did it before obtaining a decent manual. In my ignorance I removed the shift pivot screw instead of the drain plug! Still ignorant, i replaced the screw thinking it was all OK. Now I get the manual and it tells me this is "BAD NEWS. VERY BAD NEWS."<br /><br />My Question is could i have, by dumb luck, gotten the pin back in the right place? Before reading about my mistake I got the engine running and was able to shift it into forward and reverse. It makes a slight klunking noise as it goes into gear, but the prop does turn. I would appreciate any advice - i am new to boating and have no experience with outboard engines and also have little spare cash so I'm trying to do what I can myself.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Stu :confused:

lonewolf5347

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Help! I pulled the Shift Pivot Screw on my Force 125!

as long as there was no problem geeting the screw back in i think your safe.

lonewolf5347

Chief Petty Officer

make shure when running engine you have a set of ears on it i mean running water from the garden hose.don;t run the engine without water?

fishthebay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your probably OK. I did this a few years back with my Force Engine and the mechanic checked that I got the screw in correctly. NO PROBLEMS......<br /><br />You will know for next time. BTW-DONT STRIP that lower unit oil plug. Its really small. Get a get allen wrench and turn slowly. Spray WD-40 on the plug and allow to soak before trying to remove. Again, don't strip the threads. Good Luck

nickster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would say if this boat hasn't ran in 8 years it is defintly time for a new water pump.