75 Hp Chrysler Out board

loinguyen

Recruit
I have 1967 75HP Chrysler Outboard Motor. It is Model #75774 and serial #1324. Which I bought from use. I got motor home and it rans for a couple times then quit running now. I want to rebuild my engine. I need rebuild kit which includes 3 set of new piston kit, head gasket and other neccessary gaskets. Anyone knows where I can get these parts. Is it worthy to get it rebuilt or I invest more money to get good used motor or a<br />brand new motor since it is expensive. Please, e-mail me with your responds at <br />Thanks,<br />Loi nullloinguyen71@hotmail.com
  • :confused:

fone_man

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 75 Hp Chrysler Out board

For starters... you will not be able to buy a rebuild kit as you want with all the parts in one box. <br /><br />You will have to buy everything seperate to a degree such as:<br /><br />* pistons... std, .10 or .30<br />* rings<br />* powerhead gasket set<br />* lower gasket set<br />* etc...<br /><br />Sorry as this is just the way it is...<br /><br />But should be ok but I have never been a fan of Chrysler since my Dad's 1975 Dodge Dart w/318 cid developed a taste for lower ball joints & lower control arms!!!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 75 Hp Chrysler Out board

Bon soir, I. Nguyen! I suggest that you first determine why your engine doesn't work. Overhauling may not be what is required.<br /><br />First, find cylinder compression. Each cylinder should compress at 90 - 110lb., with not more than 15lb. difference between high and low cylinders. If your engine passes this test, overhaul is not required.<br /><br />Next, find if each spark plug is firing. Remove the spark plugs and inspect them. Each should be light tan in color to black, but not fouled with built-up carbon or other deposits, and not wet with unburned fuel. With the ignition ON, turn over the starter and hold each spark plug wire 1/2" from the block. Each should produce a spark.<br /><br />If Compression and spark tests are successful, attempt to start the engine while spraying WD-40 (NOT starter fluid) into the carbs. If the engine starts and then dies, you have a fuel starvation problem.<br /><br />Let us know what you have done and learned. We will proceed from there if required.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)