Outboard brands-repowering Rendova RIB

Listmates,<br />I have a Rendova 14 that I acquired used with a Force 50 2 cycle outboard. The outboard leaks water into one cylinder, the head gasket is OK, and now the hydraulic trim does not operate downwards, so unable to lower the motor into the water. Wiring seems to be OK and switch. Relays seem to work. Suspect the hydraulic unit itself. Could repair, or repower. If repowering, what do you think are the best brands of outboards? Would a four-cycle be slower than a two cycle? The boat does not have a tag showing maximum allowable weight, and I don't know what the Force weighs. All thoughts appreciated.<br />James Jones<br />Seattle

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Outboard brands-repowering Rendova RIB

What kind of boat is the Rendova (aluminum or fiberglass)? What year is it? What kind of shape is it in? Do you have a high transom?<br /><br />Remember that the older engines were rated differently for horsepower, meaning that a new 40 HP (either 2 or 4 stroke) will probably outperform the 50 Force you currently have.<br /><br />But the 4-strokes are heavier.

Fouled Plug

Ensign

A Rendova 14 maxes out at 60HP. I assume the manufaturer rates at 2-stroke motors, you may need to downsize for a 4 stroke due to weight. Maybe have the Force checked at a shop, and if the cost to repair is too high, toss it. Then decide what's important in your application. Light weight/speed (2 stroke) or smoothness/quiet/economy (smaller 4 stroke). Good luck with the Force! P.S. How did you determine the head gasket was OK?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, James. Welcome to the best board on the net.<br /><br />First, your T&T. Refusal to power down is classic symptom of low fluid. Find the filler hole and refill it, recycle it, then refill it. Repeat until it won't take any more.<br /><br />Next, replacement engine. Our standard answer is to go for the brand that has the best local dealership. I don't see any reason to change it. <br /><br />The best brand reputations belong to Yamaha, Suzuki, Mercury, Johnson, Evinrude. Tohatsu and Nissan are good engines, but where is a service center??? <br /><br />Yamaha, Suzuki and Mercury can sell you 2 or 4 stroke engines. Johnson can sell you a Suzuki 4 stroke.<br /><br />All other things being equal, in a 40 to 60HP range I would buy a Yamaha 60 2 stroke or a Suzuki DF50 4 stroke.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

trevorcday

Petty Officer 1st Class

Those 50 Forces are not the greatest motors so don't spend too much to fix it. If the head gasket looks ok but it leaks water sometimes the cylinder liner separates from the cylinder block and causes this.<br /><br />Is the power trim motor running when you operate the trim button? I couldn't tell from your post.<br /><br />New 2-strokes and 4-strokes are rated by the same method so horsepower is comparable. 4-strokes carry more weight so theoretically performance will suffer a bit. Also the 4-strokes have less low end torque and thus are slower out of the hole. One last thought on 4-strokes; they have a lot more moving parts than 2-strokes. There are plenty of 30 year old 2-strokes out in the field still. Will a four stroke outboard have this kind of longevity??

Thanks to all who have replied so far to my original post. Someone asked what kind of boat a Rendova 14 is. It is a rigid inflatable boat, a hybrid inflatable fiberglass. The transom is quite low. How did I know the head gasket was OK? We had the local service center take the head off to try to find the source of the water in the cylinder. There was no evidence of leakage/damaged gasket, but the gasket was replaced of course in reassembly. <br />I think the idea of choosing a brand with a good service center locally is an excellent idea! I'd like to be able to have it serviced within a few miles of where it is kept. Thanks again,<br />James Jones

Addendum: The power trim motor does not seem to operate when you depress the switch to lower the motor. The relay clicks inside the engine cover. I am not sure exactly where the power trim motor is located. Is it in the hydraulic unit itself?<br />Thanks,<br />James Jones