Force 50 HP Ignition Problem

edv

Recruit
I have a 1987C Force 50 HP engine, that has developed an intermittent ignition problem. When it is cold the bottom cylinder does not fire, however if I keep it running on 1 cylinder for about 15-30 minutes the engine heats up and then the 2'nd cylinder fires and I have full power. I am not sure if this is a coil problem, stator problem, CD ignition problem, or other. Based on the manual it also appears it is not something I can test easily. Any help would be appreciated.

petryshyn

Commander
Re: Force 50 HP Ignition Problem

Yo edv, not stator...would effect both. Easy to rule out coil...just swap umm and see if the misfire followes the coil. Since it 'improves' with heat,use the old 'JB' trick. While idling as low as possible, heat up the pack with a hair dryer. If problem goes away quicker than before..........bad pack. Odds are good its the pack(repaired a few) but always prove it first.......unless your wallet's too big!!<br /> ;)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Force 50 HP Ignition Problem

Everything Schematic said. Also,dont rule-out a bad terminal connection. These engines have that terminal bus bar on the port side.<br />Remove them one at a time, clean the terminal,screw and connector with a brush. Clean them shiny,and re-assemble. Spray some CRC battery terminal protectant all over the assy. I know it messy,and looks like red paint, but it works good. An alternative is "liquid electrical tape".