1990 Force 90hp swivel bracket/kingpin bearings

gamiller

Recruit
I am going to replace the kinpin bearings in the swivel bracket. Any body have any suggestion on what else I should repair/replace in the process?<br />Motor will turn, but it takes alot of effort, and is hard to control at low speeds or on plain in tight winding waterways. I read all the recomendations on this site, and have tried all of them to try and free up the sticky bearings, but nothing worked.

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: 1990 Force 90hp swivel bracket/kingpin bearings

If you put heat in the right place it will free up. The heat will loosen the old hard grease and crud build up. It helps to have 4 hands one set to turn engine and pump grease, while the other is heating. Careful of wires, cable, FUEL LINES, and FUEL dripping from carbs.

gamiller

Recruit

I tried this approach using a Milwaukee heat gun. Do you think I should try a little propane torch?

clanton

Rear Admiral

I would think it should be hot enough to bubble the grease, propane may do it. I try to keep the flame off of the plastic bushing.

gamiller

Recruit

You should probably also know that while pumping the grease gun, lots of grease comes out of the bottom bearing, so I don't think any grease is getting to the top bearing. Any tip/trick to get some grease to the top bearing??

clanton

Rear Admiral

Sometimes you can lift the engine upward with jack or 4/4, with just enough pressure to move the slack/endplay in steering shaft from bottom to top, this may slow the grease from comming out the bottom. I have drilled the bracket and installed 2nd grease fitting in some cases. Soak the top bushing with Blaster, automatic transmisson fluid, REMEMBER BOTH OF THESE FLUIDS BURN. It is a dirty job, be carful, take your time, it will come loose.

gamiller

Recruit

Thanks Clanton, I will try. Exactly what is Blaster, I have never heard of it. I have soaked the top bearing/plastic washer w/lots of WD/40, but will try the AT fluid, and the jack trick. <br />Thanks again.